Help. The short guide that I'm writing doesn't have chapters and I get a message about needing them.

I keep getting a message that says I need to read the guide to make a proper TOC and set chapters. I've set chapters where they aren't really necessary but still have the same problem. Can I get help?

This is the message that I get when I submit the document and save.

"There do not appear to be any chapters in your table of contents. This suggests that you need to properly set chapter divisions in your document."

Comments

• Em_PressEm_Press Professor

Give the word Copyright Heading1 Style, as well as the About the Author Heading if you have one. That should do it.

A citizen of the world.

• I would also put the Title in Heading 1 at the start of the first page, or you'll have an "untitled" in the table of contents.

• Thank you. I tried that. It didn't work.

• Thank you but I also did that. It didn't help.

• Em_PressEm_Press Professor

That's impossible, Anthony.  It's 100% full proof

Try again. Read the manual first. Important.

Maybe you are not assigning styles but doing something else accidentally or your styles are not catching due to your software?

Anyway, try again or upload a part of your Word document here.

A citizen of the world.

• Is it compatible with LibreOffice? I used LibreOffice and under Styles used Heading 1 for the title and Heading 2 for topic headings. It's an .rtf file if that matters.

I tried again and still get the same message:

There do not appear to be any chapters in your table of contents. This suggests that you need to properly set chapter divisions in your document.

• You may have to verify that "Heading 1" in LibreOffice is actually assigned as a Heading style. I know when I downloaded LibreOffice and tried an EPUB ready file the first time, the Heading Styles were not properly assigned and didn't work. 

Here's a link to LibreOffice's help page for assigning styles:

https://help.libreoffice.org/Writer/Styles_and_Formatting

It might also help to export the files as a .doc or .docx, though rtf should work.

If all else fails, create a support case and we'll take a closer look.

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

Is it compatible with LibreOffice? I used LibreOffice and under Styles used Heading 1 for the title and Heading 2 for topic headings. 

Well I found this >>  https://ask.libreoffice.org/en/question/61661/cannot-change-heading-style/   it seems a bit convoluted when compared to doing it in Word.

For Lulu to create a TOC Heading Styles have to be used in a particular order. HS 1, (for a main TOC entry); HS 2, (for a sub TOC entry under HS 1): HS 3,  (for a sub-sub TOC entry under HS 2.) Then HS 1 has to be used again. Don't confuse HSs with Headers and Footers as some people do.

It's an .rtf file if that matters.

I have often wondered that. .rtf keeps font styles, etc, but does it retain HS settings? I would suggest you use a .docx.

I tried again and still get the same message:

Try the above.

There do not appear to be any chapters in your table of contents. This suggests that you need to properly set chapter divisions in your document.

But all that needs to be in a TOC to pass Lulu's check is the Title and the word Copyright (on a copyright page usually!)