Amazon and Barnes&Noble still selling book I withdrew 4 years ago

The first edition of my book was withdrawn in 2012 but is still available on Amazon and B&N, alongside the second edition (withdrawn in February 2016) and the third edition, which is the only one I want to be available. It is not just a case of Amazon reselling second-hand copies. I checked by buying a new copy of the 1st edition.

Details:

Amazon.co.uk https://www.amazon.co.uk/You-Only-Walk-Long-Enough/dp/1409267563/  

First edition of “If you only walk long enough” 6095634, ISBN-13: 978-1409267560, published on 21 Feb 2009

Now on its 3rd edition https://www.amazon.co.uk/only-walk-enough-Exploring-Pyrenees/dp/1471069117 12481869 ISBN-13: 978-1471069116.

Amazon.com is the same.

Does anyone know how to stop Amazon selling an edition I have withdrawn? Thanks.

Comments

• I had our distribution expert look at this and it appears Amazon didn't properly retire the book when you took it down. We're getting in touch with them now and it should be down shortly.

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

Are you saying that Amazon remove books withdrawn at Lulu?

What's this then?  http://www.amazon.com/Lilium-Saffron-Dewbell-Kevin-Lomas/dp/1471625680/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8

That's been there 4 years and there's no alternative suppliers mentioned, new or used, so there's no reason for it to still be listed.

I have in fact withdrawn two, and they are still there.

I have recently asked Amazon about it and they say the original publisher has to get them removed, and that's Lulu. But they did also say it may be possible via Author Central, or contacting Author Central to ask (that it if one has signed up with that.)

I would assume they are also still listed on other sites, but I have never looked.

• Kevin,

The link you provided is to an "Out of Print" listing, which cannot be purchased any longer as a print on demand book (third parties could still sell it if they had a copy). These pages Amazon will keep up forever, as it only displays the publicly available information from your book. 

The link you provided is to an "Out of Print" listing,

That's what I said ... that's what this thread is about.

which cannot be purchased any longer as a print on demand book

I said that also, and cannot be purchased as any type of print book. It's discontinued.

(third parties could still sell it if they had a copy).

I also said that the page for that book does not display any alternative sellers on Amazon, as a new or used book.

That example of one of mine is a late book, gone to make its maker, pushing up daisies, left this mortal coil.

These pages Amazon will keep up forever, as it only displays the publicly available information from your book. 

Yes, we know that and keep telling people that. For what purpose does it, though? If one goes in to a real bookshop that only sells new books, do they have fake books on display depicting out of print books? No, that would be pointless and stupid.

Amazon's excuse that they leave them listed in case a third party has one for sale does not hold water when no other seller is displayed, but there's no need to anyway, because if some one searches for a book or writer by name it will come up with options, if it can find any, so there's no need to have dead 'new' books still listed.

I assume Lulu's software places them on to other sites? That it also lists books as no longer in print when Withdrawn at Lulu, so why can the software not remove them from other sites, also?

• Thanks Paul, that's very helpful. I'm quite happy for the 1st and 2nd editions to be listed so that people can sell them second-hand.

Someone still has to buy them first  Smiley Happy

Some 3rd party sellers advertise 'stocks' of new and used books they do not actually have. Book sites can be deceptive if not just strange.