formats & new isbn

I'm about to make some e-books, which I already have made into html for Amazon & B&N but I don't really like the results. Anybody know what formats Lulu takes and if these books will need an isbn other than that of the print book? On Amazon and B&N you don't need another isbn. 

Comments

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

I'm about to make some e-books, which I already have made into html for Amazon & B&N but I don't really like the results. Anybody know what formats Lulu takes

Lulu, like Amazon, will take a docx, I am not sure why you would use an HTML file because Amazon's How To guide is for docxs. That could be why you do not like the results, and to be honest I do not like the results when Lulu put our e-books on to Amazon, so I use KDP for my e-books on Amazon. (I have no idea about B & N because I do not load to there directly.)

Note that Lulu use a different method for creating the TOC than Amazon do.  This is also for Docx files >>

http://connect.lulu.com/t5/eBook-Formatting-Publishing/eBook-Creator-Guide/ta-p/109443

and if these books will need an isbn other than that of the print book?

Yes they do because being e-books they are not really the same books. ISBNs aid people in finding the exact book they want so each has a different ISBN.

On Amazon and B&N you don't need another isbn.

Again I have no idea about B & N.  Amazon do not use ISBNs as such when you directly publish to them, they use their own called ASIN. I think the option to add an ISBN is when there's also a print version available. (Even if placed there via Lulu.)

• Kevin,

As far as I know, you have to choose filtered html or you can't upload a file. I've done 15 files, started in 2007-14. Thanks for your help. I don't like e-files period, they just are too compressed to look like a book should.  

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

I think I have placed around five on to KDP, one just very recently, and each time I used a Word docx as per Amazon's own KDP guide, which also instructs people to use Word's own TOC tool. (Unlike Lulu.) I upload an A4 sized file, although size is not that important, but if one uploads a file size that's the same dimensions of a Smartphone, then it may look strange! I do not know, I have never done it, and do not have a Smartphone. (I preview mine on my PC.)

What an e-book looks like depends on what it's being read on, from cellphones to tablets, but all or most have the option to adjust the text layout and size. Having said that, it can also depend on if you have laid it out in the manner of a book to start with. (Spacing etc.)

Granted, many types of e-book files are a number of progs combined in to one (ePub, Mobi, whatever) and the text is often HTML within them,  but when uploading to a tool that creates an e-book there's no need to upload an HTML file. Both Lulu's and Amazon's instructions are for creating a Word docx to upload to their Wizards.