More technology madness

I'm a bit further along with my manuscript and have tamed most of the hiccups in my Word document.

Here's what I'm having trouble with and if certain of my questions are best asked in other forums, please do not hesitate to steer me in the right direction - but I'm sure some of the lulu community has run into these quirks.

First, when I try to use Acrobat 8.0's "printer" to generate a document on my Mac, the "printer" comes up as paused right away. I try to resume, it churns through the pages, then goes back to paused and no dialog box ever pops up with the next step in the process. This was a full copy with key I'd chanced across on Adobe's site and works just fine for assembling / editing / deconstructing PDFs, I just cannot generate PDFs directly.

I know OS X has the native capability to generate PDFs, but I'm told that the Apple PDF module does not generate the quality of output I need for a press-ready job.

Would generating a PDF file through Apple's PDF functionality then saving it again through Acrobat make any difference?

Next question - Word versions.

I now have Office 2011 on my home Mac (previously had Word 2008), and when I open the book document there, it comes up as 211 pages. When I open the same file on my work PC (Windows 7 if it matters) and which has Office 2010, it comes up as 217 pages. One section fits comfortably in 6 pages when opened on the Mac, but expands to 2-3 lines into a 7th page when opened on the PC. I think I'd asked before, but what gives?

Comments

• First, when I try to use Acrobat 8.0's "printer" to generate a document on my Mac, the "printer" comes up as paused right away. I try to resume, it churns through the pages, then goes back to paused and no dialog box ever pops up with the next step in the process. This was a full copy with key I'd chanced across on Adobe's site and works just fine for assembling / editing / deconstructing PDFs, I just cannot generate PDFs directly.

A quick check that has happened to me when printing to file on Windows, Are you looking for the pop up that comes up to place and name the file? Else there may be a problem with actually making the file.

Would generating a PDF file through Apple's PDF functionality then saving it again through Acrobat make any difference?

Yes, for reasons below

now have Office 2011 on my home Mac (previously had Word 2008), and when I open the book document there, it comes up as 211 pages. When I open the same file on my work PC (Windows 7 if it matters) and which has Office 2010, it comes up as 217 pages. One section fits comfortably in 6 pages when opened on the Mac, but expands to 2-3 lines into a 7th page when opened on the PC. I think I'd asked before, but what gives?

The difference comes from the way the letters, lines and margins are mapped.  Each software, style of font, print driver or file creator looks at how the document is created slightly differently.  For an examnple of what I mean look at a document after you change printers.  Since you are getting added lines without added wraps, I have to assume the new document looks at the font size differently in the vertical which adds just a little bit to the "thickness" of each line, about 2 or 3 lines per page worth. Smiley Happy 

From other things I have read on the forums using Acrobat writer seems to be the best way to oversome issues like these, and even then you have to proof the final carefully.

Possibly a better explanation:  http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/textreflow.htm

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

I'm a bit further along with my manuscript and have tamed most of the hiccups in my Word document.

Here's what I'm having trouble with and if certain of my questions are best asked in other forums, please do not hesitate to steer me in the right direction - but I'm sure some of the lulu community has run into these quirks.

First, when I try to use Acrobat 8.0's "printer" to generate a document on my Mac, the "printer" comes up as paused right away.

Should you not use Save or Save As or Print to File (As)?

I try to resume, it churns through the pages, then goes back to paused and no dialog box ever pops up with the next step in the process. This was a full copy with key I'd chanced across on Adobe's site and works just fine for assembling / editing / deconstructing PDFs, I just cannot generate PDFs directly.

I cannot find that on their own site, just the option to use DC in the Cloud for so much a month. There's many other sites with 8 on, but not for free. There's free trials and stuff.

I know OS X has the native capability to generate PDFs, but I'm told that the Apple PDF module does not generate the quality of output I need for a press-ready job.

There's also the possibility they will not work in Lulu's Wizards.

People do seem to have bother creating files on a Mac for use at Lulu.

Next question - Word versions.

I now have Office 2011 on my home Mac (previously had Word 2008), and when I open the book document there, it comes up as 211 pages. When I open the same file on my work PC (Windows 7 if it matters) and which has Office 2010, it comes up as 217 pages.

I have noticed that at times. Sometimes one template can override another one, as if some Word will only use some preset one! There's often a lot of restrictions set on some work's PCs by admin. I have even sent PDFs to people in offices and they cannot open them!

One section fits comfortably in 6 pages when opened on the Mac, but expands to 2-3 lines into a 7th page when opened on the PC. I think I'd asked before, but what gives?

Don't use a Mac? Only use one copy of Windows? And the latter on a PC. Smiley Very Happy

• Save As -> PDF I assume then redirects to use Apple's PDF module.

Print - Printer -> Adobe PDF 8.0 is the part where I speak of the program simply churning through the pages and then coming back to a paused state. Yes, my expectation is that the next step would be to be prompted for the filename etc. I guess my next step from here on this particular point is Adobe's forums.

As for my finding the copy of Acrobat 8, this was 3 years ago and it turned up when I was doing some searching on Adobe's site to determine how to tell which editions of Acrobat were PC vs. Mac (so I would know what to watch for when checking a certain well-known auction site as I cannot afford the steep price of the current version, while figuring that an older version should work just as well and for a fraction of the price). No doubt they have long since taken that page down in favor of their current subscription model (which I fear would strain my budget).

I DO have a full copy of Acrobat 7 that I could use on my virtual XP box - which is what my plan was before stumbling on the copy of Acrobat 8 for OS X.

The printer issue impacting the text reflow seems to be the most logical explanation - my home computer is connected to an HP inkjet printer while my work PC is connected to a Brother laser printer.

I don't have as much need to do any editing on my manuscript on my work PC as I'm down to just tweaks to one section (and my workload is starting to ramp back up so I don't have as much time to goof around now) so that point is becoming moot.

Thanks for the input. I'm sure I'll be back with other questions and comments as I get back into this project, especially as I'm also almost at the point where I need to start adding images to the document!

Save As -> PDF I assume then redirects to use Apple's PDF module.

I have no idea what you mean by that. PDF software is Adobe's, but a lot of other software has the option to Save As, then you select Save As what type of file, PDF being one option, and you do not see an Adobe module because it's just a Save. I would assume that Adobe's own standalone applications just Save to a PDF as default. Standard icon is usually a floppy disk when saving to the same file.

Print - Printer -> Adobe PDF 8.0 is the part where I speak of the program simply churning through the pages and then coming back to a paused state.

But Print is exactly that. The instruction to send to a printer. Adobe's PDF Reader does seem to take a long time to do that. It seems to cycle through the pages in the background preparing them for print. If you have printer turned on it will pop-up its User Interface. If it's not on it will go in to a que or suggest you turn on your printer. I have no idea what happens if you do not have a printer of the software for it. Print To File is not the same thing. So you should have Print and Print To File, although I have not seen the latter option for a long time!

Yes, my expectation is that the next step would be to be prompted for the filename etc. 

It will not ask for a file name when you instruct it to print because the file will be open and it's that you have told it to print.

I guess my next step from here on this particular point is Adobe's forums.

Well you are confusing me that's for sure! But most applications have built in Help, and the option is usually tagged that.

Also >>  http://www.adobe.com/support/documentation/en/acrobatpro/documentation.html

As for my finding the copy of Acrobat 8, this was 3 years ago and it turned up when I was doing some searching on Adobe's site to determine how to tell which editions of Acrobat were PC vs. Mac (so I would know what to watch for when checking a certain well-known auction site as I cannot afford the steep price of the current version, while figuring that an older version should work just as well and for a fraction of the price). No doubt they have long since taken that page down in favor of their current subscription model (which I fear would strain my budget).

Adobe products strain most peoples' budgets. They are mainly for professionals where the cost does not matter and they can also claim the cost back via tax. There are alternatives, some even free. I find MS Word suitable, which is far cheaper than Adobe's stuff.

I DO have a full copy of Acrobat 7 that I could use on my virtual XP box -

On what?

which is what my plan was before stumbling on the copy of Acrobat 8 for OS X.

Do you not have Word? Or even this free MS Office clone >>   http://get.openoffice.us.com/human2/oo.php?pk=1202533&aid=avst&source=msn&c=Srch_UK_OpenOffice_us_Suite_EM

The printer issue impacting the text reflow seems to be the most logical explanation - my home computer is connected to an HP inkjet printer while my work PC is connected to a Brother laser printer.

Don't confuse Print with Print To File. But Print To File is little used now because you can just use the Save As option, then select PDF.

I don't have as much need to do any editing on my manuscript on my work PC as I'm down to just tweaks to one section (and my workload is starting to ramp back up so I don't have as much time to goof around now) so that point is becoming moot.

Thanks for the input. I'm sure I'll be back with other questions and comments as I get back into this project, especially as I'm also almost at the point where I need to start adding images to the document!

Good luck with that.

•  

The more I re-read this thread, the more I seem to have been clear as mud.

For a while now, Apple has included the capability within the operating system to save as or print file as PDF - likely through special arrangement with Adobe. It appears I misspoke when talking about saving a Word file to PDF vs. printing a file as PDF. (and I suppose I'm still being clear as mud again)

When I use Apple's PDF functionality directly - regardless of the type of file I'm "printing" - say, a Word document, I am then prompted to choose the name of the PDF I am creating and where I want to save it to. THAT is the step I am missing when I try to use Adobe's PDF "printer". If Apple's PDF module had the options or capability to generate press-ready PDFs directly, I wouldn't even NEED to install Acrobat in the first place!

I did ask on Adobe's forum about this issue and they basically told me off for installing an obsolete version of Acrobat and that I need to upgrade to the current subscription-based version.

I do agree that Adobe's pricing structure and business model favors multinational corporations with near-unlimited IT budgets - oh well.

As for the "virtual XP box", I have some software on my Apple computer that allows the Windows OS to be run as an application from within the Apple operating system (Windows XP in a window in other words). It has come in handy for running some applications that do not have equivalents on the Apple operating system platform. (but there I go confusing the issue again)

Yes I do have Word installed - the Office 2011 suite, in fact (the versions released for the Apple platform are typically released one year after the Windows version, so this suite is very similar in appearance to Office 2010 for Windows)

Sorry to waste everyone's time like this.

Yes I do have Word installed - the Office 2011 suite, in fact (the versions released for the Apple platform are typically released one year after the Windows version, so this suite is very similar in appearance to Office 2010 for Windows)

Use Word in that then and Save As a PDF  Smiley Happy

• Thing is, trying to generate the PDF directly as you suggest either leads me back to the inability to access the Acrobat 'printer' (Distiller) directly or the built-in option in OSX to generate PDFs (aka Quartz, and Lulu does not accept PDFs generated this way).

BUT! I think I finally got it figured out - especially after finding an old thread here in the forum on how to generate PDFs on a Mac in the format Lulu requires.

What it comes down to is this -

There is also an option in OSX to generate a Postscript file from the document in question.

That file can then be:

Uploaded directly to Lulu for conversion on their end, or

Converted to PDF on Adobe's site, or

if one has the full version of Acrobat on one's Mac, opened in that program then "distilled" into a press-ready PDF.

I'll try a test upload and print in a few weeks after one more research trip coming up.

Thing is, trying to generate the PDF directly as you suggest either leads me back to the inability to access the Acrobat 'printer' (Distiller) directly or the built-in option in OSX to generate PDFs (aka Quartz, and Lulu does not accept PDFs generated this way).

Why do you need to? I use Word to Save As a PDF and I upload that, or I just upload a Word docx. Aren't your other options for when you cannot Save As a PDF direct from some word processor?

BUT! I think I finally got it figured out - especially after finding an old thread here in the forum on how to generate PDFs on a Mac in the format Lulu requires.

Well, Lulu's Wizards do seem to be geared up for files created on an IBM compatible and have problems with files that are not.

What it comes down to is this -

There is also an option in OSX to generate a Postscript file from the document in question.

That file can then be:

Uploaded directly to Lulu for conversion on their end, or

Converted to PDF on Adobe's site, or

if one has the full version of Acrobat on one's Mac, opened in that program then "distilled" into a press-ready PDF.

I'll try a test upload and print in a few weeks after one more research trip coming up.

Just get Word and an  IBM compatible  Smiley Happy

• Skoob_ymSkoob_ym Teacher

NDLineGeek:

It is possible to upload DOC and DOCX files directly into the Lulu Book Wizard. I almost always upload a DOC or DOCx file. The exception is when a bit of text requires digrams or embedded pictures, a function that MSWord does poorly.

So, since you're already working in Word, my question would be: Do you really need it as a PDF?

I have discovered that if the right type of PDF is uploaded, it often keeps any settings.