Publishing elsewhere as well as/instead of on Lulu

I've recently published a book on Lulu and am happy with the finished product. I have set it up for general distribution and I know it will take a while for it to be visible on Amazon etc and I'm fine with that. I've also started work on an ebook version, which might take some time!

However, there is now a vague possibility that a mainstream publisher might now be interested. If this turns out to be the case, how do I proceed? As I "bought" the ISBN from Lulu I realise that I'd need a new one, and that I would need to make a new edition. Can I leave the current one on Lulu, or would I need to retire it? This is all a bit theoretical, but it would be good to know the procedure.

Thanks in advance

altohb

Comments

• oncewasoncewas Librarian

If a mainstream publisher is interested in your book I don't think they would be happy that it was being sold elsewhere so you would have to retire the project on Lulu.

Be upfront with your publisher and let them guide you as to what needs to happen next. Remember, you can always reverse the status of a project within 12 months of retiring it, so if the deal falls through with the publisher simply unretire your project.

Good luck with the publishing deal.

• altohb wrote:

I've recently published a book on Lulu and am happy with the finished product. I have set it up for general distribution and I know it will take a while for it to be visible on Amazon etc and I'm fine with that. I've also started work on an ebook version, which might take some time!

However, there is now a vague possibility that a mainstream publisher might now be interested. If this turns out to be the case, how do I proceed? As I "bought" the ISBN from Lulu I realise that I'd need a new one, and that I would need to make a new edition. Can I leave the current one on Lulu, or would I need to retire it? This is all a bit theoretical, but it would be good to know the procedure.

Thanks in advance

altohb

If the new publisher picks up your book they will create a new ISBN for it. You don't have to do that.

And Danielblue is right: the best thing would be to retire the book from sale entirely. No publisher is going to be interested in a book if there is a competing edition available from someone else.

altohb

• Good luck!

One problem could be that even when a book is Retired it still will remain Listed on most sites.