Which words would you suggest to be in upper/lower case for title and subtitle?

I know that it is important to get the metadata/ title just right for distribution purposes, and this is a question regarding the conventions for capital lettters

Have I got this right regarding capital letters?

Title:

The Robert Burns Songbook for Guitar and Voice

Subtitle:

Also Suitable for Guitar Duo or Flute/ Recorder and Guitar.

Your advice is much appreciated

Comments

• Start your project and enter your title; the wizard will tell you if the title is correctly formatted.

• Em_PressEm_Press Professor

Here's a useful tool:

http://titlecapitalization.com/

A citizen of the world.

• Thanks for both responses

In particular, that was a brilliant resource that you posted!

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

From Lulu's guide.

4. Improper Capitalization

Your title, subtitle, and author names can be capitalized any way you like on your cover image and your title page. However, your metadata must follow certain rules for your eBook to be listed by retail distribution channels:

• The first letter of every word should be capitalized, except for articles, conjunctions, and short prepositions.
    • The first and last word of every title and subtitle should be capitalized.
    • Your metadata should not be in all caps. (It’s ok if acronyms are all caps.)

These titles are correct:

“War and Peace”

“The Man with the Movie Camera”

“The Last Samurai”

“Either This or That”

“My Story: The Sequel”

“What Is This World Coming To?”

These are incorrect:

“War And Peace”

“the man with the movie camera”

“THE LAST SAMURAI”

“Either this or that”

“My Story: the sequel”

“What Is This World Coming to?”

• AdrianAllan a écrit :

Title:

The Robert Burns Songbook for Guitar and Voice

Subtitle:

Also Suitable for Guitar Duo or Flute/ Recorder and Guitar.

1) either "Flute/Recorder" or "Flute / Recorder"
    2) no full-stop at the end of the title
    Will you have all this on the front cover of your book? Why not something like that?
    The Robert Burns Songbook
    Guitar Duo, Guitar and Voice, Guitar and Flute

P.S. Is it still a song when the voice is replaced by a flute or a recorder?

• Thanks for all your advice

However I am now getting the advice on the title page when I am trying to revise it 

Your project's title was locked when submitted to bibliographic databases, ISBN agencies, and retailers.

So I cannot change it

Which is strange as I have never approved my copy - I have made a few revisions and I am still in the process of making changes

Will I have to start again with a totally new project to get the title correct?

Thanks for all your advice

However I am now getting the advice on the title page when I am trying to revise it 

Your project's title was locked when submitted to bibliographic databases, ISBN agencies, and retailers.

So I cannot change it

Is it a ePub?

Which is strange as I have never approved my copy - I have made a few revisions and I am still in the process of making changes

Epubs do not have to be Approved and there's no Proof to buy. It's best to keep them on Private until you are 100% sure it's all OK.

Will I have to start again with a totally new project to get the title correct?

It seems so, yes. Note that you cannot use the same ISBN.

• Thanks for all the advice so far

Much appreciated

I have started again, which is not such a big deal, as the book is all saved on a PDF of course

Out of interest you might want to see my cover which I am attaching

You probably don't see many music books being discussed on these forums!

You probably don't see many music books being discussed on these forums!

You would be surprised, but there's getting to be less and less of anything discussed here nowadays.

• The traditional answer was that the First Word and all "Important" words were capitalized.

"Flashing in the Eye of the Impeller" (articles and prepositions are apparently not "important," you see, thus "in the" "of the" are not capitalized )

or

"The Tragedy of Puddin'head Wilson" ("The" is the first word, thus is capitalized, "of" is not).

The second example would be listed in card catalogs, bibliographies, and indices as "Tragedy of Puddin'head Wilson, the" and thus "the," no longer first, loses its capitalization.

The more modern answer is that it is ALSO acceptable to capitalize all words:

"The Tragedy Of Puddin'Head Wilson."

So that's what the general rule would be. Actual mileage may vary, and no licenses are granted. Use at your own risk. Action Figures Sold Separately.

(but in metadata for search engines, all lower case is more likely to obtain more "hits")