Looking for book reviews (New Fantasy Series)

Looking for book reviews of my first book ? It's just been released and it's a fantasy series . Book 1 is Dragon Spindle . It's the first of a five book series and as its my first book I would like some reviews . I have had a lot of good feedback so far but it's only just been released today . I have not written before but spent a long time planning and setting up as I am dyslexic so it took a good year and I am half way through book 2 . Please let me know your thought as any feedback is good feedback !

Link : http://www.lulu.com/shop/http://www.lulu.com/shop/jethro-burch/dragon-spindle-ningazia-balance-series-book-1/ebook/product-22640456.html

Thanks very Much indeed

Jethro J Burch

Comments

• Ron MillerRon Miller Professor Professor

Congratulations!

A suggestion or two, if I may.

First, a link to the book itself would be useful. That way people won't have to do a search for it.

Second, be absolutely certain that the blurb you write for your book---both in your store front and on the back of the book---is letter-perfect regarding spelling, punctuation and grammar. These things are the first examples anyone will see of your writing and you need to make a good impression.

Third, a preview would be useful.

Finally, you may want to rethink your cover. It really says nothing at all about your book, what genre it belongs to or what it might be about.

All too often here 'please review my book' means please buy my book!

• I am not really bothered about making money to be honest I just really enjoyed writing the book . I suffer from dyslexia so I wanted to prove to my self I could do it and prove all my old techers wrong . ????. I had to plan it very well and proofed it probably about 30 times but I am really happy with the result , although I am sure it won't be perfect in every ones eyes I am still very proud ????????????
  • Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius Lulu Genius

It does not bode well when the posting heading is incorrectly spelt.  Smiley Frustrated

JethroJBurch wrote:
    I am not really bothered about making money to be honest I just really enjoyed writing the book . I suffer from dyslexia so I wanted to prove to my self I could do it and prove all my old techers wrong . ????. I had to plan it very well and proofed it probably about 30 times but I am really happy with the result , although I am sure it won't be perfect in every ones eyes I am still very proud ????????????

Have you had anyone help you with editing and proofreading your book? It's almost impossible for any author (however experienced) to do this themselves. It's the sort of thing that needs objectivity.

Perhaps you should offer your book for free for a while. That way you would be more likely to get the kind of feedback you are looking for. If nothing else, have a ten pages or so available for review.

And could we have a link to it please?

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius Lulu Genius

There's no Preview though, and as  ePub fiction it's too expensive, especially if you are asking people to review it. All you are really asking people to do is to buy it.

• Ok , thanks ????

JethroJBurch wrote:
    I have had it poof read and line edited which I paid for and I have had two publishers interested but I wanted to do it on my own ????

I am rather curious as to why you chose to do that, if you don't mind me asking.

• Because I believe that I could do the same as them through self publishing and I had done so much so far on my own. Maybe in the future if this first series goes well, then I may go back to a publisher and as I have many more ideas for this world I have created but this first set of five books I have put so much of myself into them I wanted to finish it on my own. Maybe I will change my mind sometime but for now this is what I would like ????

JethroJBurch wrote:
    Ok , thanks ????

Looking forward to seeing a preview added!

In traditional publishing, a certain number of books are set aside by the publisher to be distributed to reviewers. The only way for a self-publisher to do this is to A. Provide downloadable ebooks for free, B. Provide at least a reasonable number of pages for a preview or C. Pay for print copies out of their own pocket and send these to reviewers. 

Anyone who purchases your book can leave a review, of course, but if you are soliciting reviews you should make copies available.

Because I believe that I could do the same as them through self publishing

No, you really cannot. They have editors, proofreaders, cover designers, marketing experts, accountants, money, contacts, the advantage of mass-printing and Sale or Return, and all at their own cost.

kevinlomas wrote:

Because I believe that I could do the same as them through self publishing

No, you really cannot. They have editors, proofreaders, cover designers, marketing experts, accountants, money, contacts, the advantage of mass-printing and Sale or Return, and all at their own cost.

Kevin is exactly right. 

The topic of the current discussion is a perfect example: A traditional publisher takes care of all the advertising and promotion of a book...including getting copies to reviewers. And, as Kevin points out, at no cost to the author. (If a publisher asks for even a penny from the author, then the publisher is simply a vanity press and should be avoided.) For instance, the publisher of my most recent commercial book (due out in October) recently sent me a list of all the magazines, newspapers and reviewers to which it will be sending copies. There are 109 publications on the list, all of whom will be receiving physical copies of the book. This would be a massively expensive undertaking for a self-published author.