Dedication page and Copyright page

I am very new to this and am currently setting up my very first children's book to publish to print.  I'm nearly there but just realised there's nothing that says whether you need to ensure you have one or two blank pages at the beginning of your book (in the Interior) to make as a dedication page and/or the copyright page.  I did download the ISBN but this is as a pdf file and now I'm really stumped.  Can someone help guide me through this?

Comments

• wildwindwildwind Publisher

Your book title needs to be on the first page and the copyright notice on the second page; you don't need any blank pages at the start of the book.

Go to My Projects and highlight and copy the ISBN number of your book then go back to the source file of your book (Word, etc) and paste the ISBN on the second page. Add your dedication wherever you want it e.g. third page, and then convert your Word document to PDF (you can use DoPDF which is free) and upload it. Alternatively, upload the Word document to Lulu and have Lulu convert your file to a PDF and follow through to the end, at which stage you can order your proof copy to check that your book is as you want it to be.

• potetjppotetjp Professor

Although many will start their book at (5) below, in my opinion, a good book should have the following characteristics.

page 1) blank

page 2) blank

page 3) title

page 4) blank or with a dedication

page 5) full title (author's name, title, (date)) [required}

page 6) copyright page + ISBN number [required]

page 7) beginning of text [printed numbering starting at this page or page 8]

last page) blank |required]

• potetjp wrote:

Although many will start their book at (5) below, in my opinion, a good book should have the following characteristics.

page 1) blank

page 2) blank

page 3) title

page 4) blank or with a dedication

page 5) full title (author's name, title, (date)) [required}

page 6) copyright page + ISBN number [required]

page 7) beginning of text [printed numbering starting at this page or page 8]

last page) blank |required]

This makes for a very professional-lookingn book.

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

If you use a hardback option then you will need two blanks at front and back to aid the binding. But I agree it looks better with a paperback also.

• Actually, just a quick question regarding this page layout, on page 6 as you have suggested, does Lulu automatically put the copyright line in there and I just put the ISBN number in there?  Or do I have to do both?  And if I have to do both, where do I get the copyright info from to put in there?

Tessiebear a écrit :

Actually, just a quick question regarding this page layout, on page 6 as you have suggested, does Lulu automatically put the copyright line in there and I just put the ISBN number in there?  Or do I have to do both?  And if I have to do both, where do I get the copyright info from to put in there?

You have got to type the ISBN yourself page 6. Lulu does not modify the contents of your book. As a personal twerk I add the barcode picture page 6, as shown below.

18-04-2016 07-56-19.jpg

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

There's no need for the barcode to be on the Copyright page, just the actual numbers. No one runs the Copyright page through a scanner.

• Thanks for that.  That sorts me out now.  I just have to finish my cover and I'll be ready!

You are welcome.