Print Book Hand-Made Full Covers: What size for what book size?

Hello,

I am making another printed book. The sizes I use are Pocketbook (4.25 x 6.875) and A5 (5.83 x 8.26).

This is my first attempt at making a full, hand-made cover by myself. I wanted to draw out my cover, color it, and ... maybe see if it would work.

Am I supposed to draw it all out as a full cover (for example, draw out my back cover on the left side of the paper, and draw out my front cover on the right)? And what do I do about the spine of the book? Should I use my own hand-drawn spine containing the book name and my name, or do I use the fonts on the Lulu cover designer?

I noticed that when I put pictures in my books, on the interior of the book, they have to be scanned at 300dpi. When I finish my cover, do I scan it with the same 300dpi?

Also, right now I'm in the process of drawing out the cover. I haven't finished it yet, but I wanted to be sure I was making it the right size. So...

Are there specific sizes I am supposed to make my hand-made (hand-drawn) book covers for the print book sizes of 'Pocketbook' and 'A5'?

I was just drawing it on a sketchpad here at home, and was going to finish it up and scan it. Well, I also know it would be best to put it in PDF format.

Is there anything else I need to know about this? Are there any other threads/posts here on Lulu that I may need to read? I researched a little bit here at Lulu, but didn't find what I was needing to know.

I hope my message isn't confusing to anyone. I can explain more if needed. I'm sorry for asking so many questions.

Thank you,

Alex

Comments

• If you click on "create" on the site's main page you'll go to a page that let's you select to download templates which will include one for covers. If you choose instead like I do, when you go through the wizard you can use the cover template and upload a picture "your drawing" into the template and do it that way. It will have to have certain dimensions depending on book size. I'm sure Maggie or Ron will on later to give more professional advice but that's the simple way. Good luck!

• potetjppotetjp Professor

You have opted for the one-piece cover, so you have got to do everything, including the ISBN on the back cover.

• Em_PressEm_Press Professor

Start a mock project and play with it. Follow the steps. All your above questions will be answered. If you get stuck, come back and ask.

A citizen of the world.

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

There's no need to design a front, spine and back in one piece unless one wants more than title and name on the spine and/or want a single image to spread across all three.

All I do is design two 300dpi jpg images, one for the front and one for the back, both at the same size as the pages. Keep your main cover details around 0.5" from the edge, the rest can be a border or the main background. (Allow a space at the bottom of the back for the ISBN.)

Upload both to the 'New' Cover Wizard. Drag the back on to the back and the front on to the front ((not in to the frames) delete all default auto-added text apart from on the spine.)

Use the eyedropper to match the main colour of the border and apply it to the spine. You will no doubt have to change the font colour on the spine so it can still be seen.

• thank you, kevinlomas! I will definitely try that instead!

I thought I'd have to do the whole layout myself on one piece of paper (drawing it all out), but I just wasn't sure how big it needed to be.

Thank you ALL for your answers. When I re-do the page I want for the front, and re-do the back, I'll upload and play around with it.

I appreciate all the help. When I find out which one works and how I did it, I'll try to get back here on this commenting forum thing and tell exactly how I did it just in case anyone else has this question.

Thanks again :-)

Alex