I bought a book on lulu

I bought a book on lulu called Christian Humanism. At the time I thought this reinforc ed what I believed. Now I can call myself a Christian Humanist.. I was brought up a Christian but had lost my faith. However I am shocked by the Christians attitude to me. "You are not a Christian"  they shout at me. "To be a Christian you must believe that Jesus is God". They condemn anyone who doesn't have this belief. Even if you have lived a good life,helped others and done no one any harm you cannot be "saved" This kind of religious belief is not for me "Anyone want the book Christian Humanism"

Comments

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

I bought a book on lulu called Christian Humanism. At the time I thought this reinforc ed what I believed. Now I can call myself a Christian Humanist..

Ah! Liz, we spent a lot of time discussing this, and was it not decided you don't need to add Christian before Humanitarian? The latter is one who sort of follows the 10 Commandants (because they are sensible, since they were edited down from the few 100 original ones, many of which made no sense at all!) but is not religious. Humanitarian = a person who works to make other people's lives better.

I was brought up a Christian but had lost my faith. However I am shocked by the Christians attitude to me. "You are not a Christian"  they shout at me. "To be a Christian you must believe that Jesus is God".

Yes, that is true. You cannot be a Christian if you are not religious following Christ (Christ - ian.) But Christians do not have the monopoly on the principles set out in the 10 Commandments, etc etc. Some religions who take them much further do not follow Christ at all and even worship 100s of gods!

They condemn anyone who doesn't have this belief.

Not very 'Christian' then are they? I bet they also condemn all Muslims, as just one example, as evil because they follow a different path, not condemning just the psychopaths who use it as an excuse to blow people up.

Even if you have lived a good life,helped others and done no one any harm you cannot be "saved" This kind of religious belief is not for me "Anyone want the book Christian Humanism"

No thanks. It sounds to me as if the writers have no idea what Humanism means  >   https://humanism.org.uk/

Have you never noticed how competitive some religious factions are? It still causes wars.  It's a 'business' of masses, especially if those masses donate money to their 'church'. There's very few poor churches or religions.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/how-rich-vatican-so-wealthy-it-can-stumble-across-millions-euros-just-tucked-away-1478219

• LarikaLarika Bibliophile

Yes Kevin, so many of the Christians I have been talking to condemn Moslems. We have in my market town a convert to Islam. He is a kind, generous man who goes out of his way to help others regardless of their belief system but he is condemned to suffer in hell according to the Christians I speak to. "He can only reach  God through Jesus" they cry. Ahhhhhh.

• Em_PressEm_Press Professor

Well, Elizabeth, perhaps you should forgive the "they" that shouted. That would make you truly Christian and Human.

I'd like your book if you would be so kind.

A citizen of the world.

• LarikaLarika Bibliophile

Em_press you are very welcome to it now you must tell me how I can send this e-book to you. I am not into this technology.