When calculating the spine width, should I be including my book covers in the page count?

When calculating the spine width, should I be including my book covers in the page count?

My graphic designer needs to know. She is creating my one-piece cover that I will upload to Lulu.

Thanks.

Comments

• oncewasoncewas Librarian

I don't believe so. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

• potetjppotetjp Professor

It goes without saying that the cover is not counted among the pages. If Lulu has a spine calculator, enter the exact number of pages of your book, and it will give you the required width for the format you have chosen.  The last page has to be blank. The total number of pages has to be divisible by 4.

• The best way to get the exact measurements is to go through the creation process up to the cover step. This will mean the interior file is fully created and our system can provide you a precise measurement for the One-Piece based on that interior file.

• Awesome. Thanks.

• Glad you got your answer. Sorry to see a reply here that started "It goes without saying..."  That's a bit condescending. To many people, it does go without saying, but not everyone comes from a publication background like I did, nor are we born knowing this. Good luck with your project - I've taken off my author hat, put on my "graphic designer" hat and am helping a friend with his book this evening myself.

• potetjppotetjp Professor

colbrt a écrit :

Glad you got your answer. Sorry to see a reply here that started "It goes without saying..."  That's a bit condescending. To many people, it does go without saying, but not everyone comes from a publication background like I did, nor are we born knowing this. Good luck with your project - I've taken off my author hat, put on my "graphic designer" hat and am helping a friend with his book this evening myself.

It goes without saying that "it goes without saying" is a common starter without any condescension. It goes without saying that we should help one another in this forum with practical advice, shouldn't we? If you feel offended, please accept my apology.