Amazon sales plus...

Hi all, just popped over to Amazon to see if my book (The Moon Thief) was on sale wow! Not only is it on sale with Amazon but with loads of other outlets as well only they are all saying...in stock? How can this be when my sales do not show this? Also, one site is advertising a 'Secondhand' copy, again, this does not match my sales so where did they get that copy? Surely advertising something as 'In stock' when it is not is fraudulent. I'm still relatively new to LULU and publishing so am I worrying unnecessarily, or just being paranoid? 

Cheers

Scribblesalot

Comments

• oncewasoncewas Librarian

Unfortunately there are many things the self-published author will need to ignore. Some of these are:

Sites claiming to have your book in stock when they do not. If someone places an order, these sites will simply place an order with Amazon and then ship the book. You will get paid your royalty.

Sites claiming to have second hand copies of your book when you haven't sold any copies yet. This is clearly misleading, if not downright fraudulent, and I'm not sure why they are allowed to do it, but they do and I'm not sure that you can do anything about it. Presumably they just ship a new book or, if someone tries to buy the second hand copy they will be told that it is out of stock

Sites claiming to have your book when they don't; they simply want people to visit the site,  either to infect their computers with malware, or get them to enter their credit card details.

Unfortunately too many people want stuff cheaply, or free, and get stung. If I wanted to buy ebooks I would use Lulu or Kindle; I wouldn't go to some site that tells me a I can get a free copy of the book - which the author has invested a lot of time and effort in - but that I needed to enter my credit card details before I could have my 'free' book.

It probably isn't even a good idea to Google your book as you will find it listed all over the place, sometimes with supposedly thousands upon thousands of downloads when perhaps you've not seen a cent. Even if someone is genuinely selling your book, and making money out of it, when they have no right to do so I'm not sure what you, as a lone individual,  can do about it.

All you can do is put your blinkers on and keep writing. The world can be a really ugly place; add some beauty with your stories.

• There is someone on Ebay claiming to have 10 copies of my book for sale. On Amazon people listing "used" copies of the other one and only 3 copies have sold so far and I know all of the people who bought them lol.

• 'only 3 copies have sold so far and I know all of the people who bought them lol.'

That's 2 more than me...well done!

All you can do is put your blinkers on and keep writing. The world can be a really ugly place; add some beauty with your stories.

Right on!