Formatting PDF page size

Hello, this is yet another question about formatting.

I want to publish some sort of magazine in A4 format. I created it using Microsoft Publisher 2010 and set the page size to A4, which is 21x29.7cm in this software.

Now when I want to print it through lulu, after selecting A4, lulu tells me my pages need to be 21.3x30.33cm (document size). It's slightly larger than what my document is, so I suppose that's fine if I submit it without changing anything, at best I'll have a thin white space around the pages, at worst it'll be slightly reduced.

But then there's the trim area (20.98x29.69cm, which is very slightly inferior to my page size) which should encompass all of the page or the edges might be cut off from what I understand. Now if I submit my document without changing anything, will the edges be cut off or will the whole page be scaled down a bit? Also, when downloading the template, there's only mention of those specifics relating to the front and back cover pages. Does that apply only to those or to the whole document? I plan on submitting a fully embedded PDF file, and I have to mention that in my Publisher file the pages are 100% filled with material, that's why I'm worried some will be cut off.

Thank you.

Comments

• potetjppotetjp Professor

No margins?

• Errr... no. When I started this project I only planned on releasing it digitally so margins just seemed like an ugly waste of space.

If I only make my pages bigger so as to add margins, will the whole page be scaled down so as to fit on the A4 lulu format or will it only keep the standard resolution and cut off what's exceeding? I'm not sure I'm making myyself clear.

idlewoodarian a écrit :

Errr... no. When I started this project I only planned on releasing it digitally so margins just seemed like an ugly waste of space.

If I only make my pages bigger so as to add margins, will the whole page be scaled down so as to fit on the A4 lulu format or will it only keep the standard resolution and cut off what's exceeding? I'm not sure I'm making myyself clear.

You mean this is not a text, but pictures. You need to use the "bleed" technique, by which every picture is slightly larger than the page and the four sides are cut off. Search for it in Lulu.

Yes Lulu will adjust your page to their template. The difference being negligible there shouldn't be any problem.

• Okay, thanks. Yes, this is a magazine with lots of images.

Last question: if I submit a fully embedded PDF file, do I still need to submit the front and back cover pages separately?

• Here's our article on full bleed:

http://connect.lulu.com/t5/Interior-Formatting/How-do-I-make-my-content-stretch-all-the-way-to-the-edge-of-the/ta-p/33675

Essentially, when you upload a file sized to the book's page size (or close to it) we resize and add a margin for trimming. If you upload the pages 0.635 cm larger than the specified size for A4 (20.99 x 29.7 cm being the finish size, 21.625 x 30.335 cm being the full bleed size), we won't add the trim and the images on the page will extend to the edge.

You will need to upload the cover files separately. The step for that will follow the interior file upload step. Be sure to review the print ready files as we make them too, to ensure everything looks correct.

idlewoodarian a écrit :

Okay, thanks. Yes, this is a magazine with lots of images.

Last question: if I submit a fully embedded PDF file, do I still need to submit the front and back cover pages separately?

You are welcome.

The cover and the inside of the book are two different things. You'll upload the PDF of the inside when prompted to.

Then Lulu will take you to the cover creation stage. There, you'll upload the JPEG images for the front and the back of the cover. You"ll see all this is pretty easy.

• Thanks.

Actually I have another question. Can I submit my file (format A4) to make a book in A5? Will it just be scaled down?

idlewoodarian a écrit :

Thanks.

Actually I have another question. Can I submit my file (format A4) to make a book in A5? Will it just be scaled down?

I suppose Lulu will scale down your A4 PDF to the A5 format, but the texts might be too small, and hard to read.

The best solution is to make an A5 book on your computer and upload its A5 PDF.