Books on Usenet

Hi,

My latest ebook has recently been made available on Amazon, iTunes, Nook etc. through Lulu.

When doing a google search on the title I found it available for download as a pdf file on a site called pdf ebooks (http://read-ebooks-or-download.blogspot.se/2016/03/the-history-of-british-rock-and-roll.html) which lead me to a download site called usenet (https://en.usenet.nl/?utm_source=AF_TA_100538&utm_content=0_1&utm_medium=AFSI&FN=the-history-of-british-rock-and-roll-the-beat-boom-ID7669&utm_campaign=434126) which then required me to register or login to be able to download the book.

Is this part of the Lulu sales network - or has someone pirated a copy of my book and uploaded it to usenet for their own gain?

I'd like to know before I start making formal complaints about piracy.....

Anyone else had this experience?

Comments

• Richard_CoadyRichard_Coady Author Author

My book is "available" on dozens of sites.

I'm going to guess that when you Googled your book you found it on a forum with someone posting a request saying "I really want to read this book - does anyone know where I can get it?" and someone else has replied with the link you followed.

If that's the case, I think you can safely ignore it. It's just spam that has inserted the name of your book because you searched for it. I doubt it's actually available on that site. They just want you to download the software.

• Thanks for the response. It wasn't that straightforward.  Unfortunately I found my book on a Blogspot blog, which simply lists many books for 'free' download, with a link to a Usenet site, which then requires a login and credit card info to be able to download the pdf file.

I have contacted Usenet and requested the file be removed and have reported the infringement to Google (who control Blogspot).

We'll see what happens next....

• potetjppotetjp Professor Professor

Sympol a écrit :

I found my book on a Blogspot blog, which simply lists many books for 'free' download, with a link to a Usenet site, which then requires a login and credit card info to be able to download the pdf file.

It's a well-known rip-off. They don't have the books they advertise. All they want is the money of the gullible.

• Found my newest one I had just published like yesterday or day before. On a site called Shakespir.com. 

And get this they do not have an email to contact them. 

• Today I received an email from Usenet to say that they have no control over files uploaded to them.

They state that I need to supply details in the pdf file, information to include the uploaders name, date and time uploaded etc.

The only way to obtain this information is to create an account with Usenet and download the file, from which I can obtain the relevant information. As creating an account with Usenet to do this involves supplying my credit card details, I shall obviously not be taking this approach.

I have yet to hear from Google following my official complaint to them.

What is interesting is that the link to the pdf file of my ebook appeared on Blogspot within a few days of my approving the ebook for distribution to Amazon, iTunes, Nook etc. Can this be more than a coincidence? As far as I know, the pdf version of the ebook file only exists on Lulu (and my own computer).....