Cover Upload Timing Out

I have a one-piece book cover I am trying to use as my cover.  I have tried it as a png file (about 20 Mb), as a jpg (about 40 Mb), and as a compressed jpg (around 4.5 Mb).  Whenever I try to upload any of them, I get the following error.

curl_errno: 28 curl_error: Operation timed out after 60 seconds with 0 bytes received

It shouldn't be internet speed, especially on the 4.5 Mb file; the uploads reaches 100% in about 35 seconds.  I have tried several times with each file and logged out of Lulu and restarted my browser, but am still having the problem.  Does anyone have any suggestions or know why it would keep timing out?

Comments

• Em_PressEm_Press Professor

Try Firefox, early in the morning, PDF, and if that fails, use a library connection. It's fast.

Your jpeg should be 300 dpi. 40MB sounds like a lot for a cover jpeg.

If all of the above fails, upload via ftp. I think the address is ftp.lulu.com. Your email is username, your lulu password is your pw for the ftp.

A citizen of the world.

A citizen of the world.

• potetjppotetjp Professor

I always upload all my text PDFs through SmartFTP, that works with Lulu. This service is quite satisfactory.

• Thank you for the tip about uploading using FTP.  I was able to get the file uploaded to My Files.  However, I'm getting the same error when I try to add it to my project: it times out again.  I've tried using both Chrome and Firefox, and the result has been the same.  Do you have any thoughts on why Lulu would time out on itself?

• Another interesting note:

I just timed it in Mozilla and the error message (curl_errno: 28 curl_error: Operation timed out after 60 seconds with 0 bytes received) appears at 60 seconds.  I think it's very strange that it has received 0 bytes after 60 seconds, because at least some data should have been transferred.

• potetjppotetjp Professor

Possibly there is a problem with your one-piece cover. Why don't you make a standard one, and separately upload the front-cover picture and the back-cover one?

Is your cover 300 dpi? Have you tried a stronger connection?

A citizen of the world.

• The cover is at 300 dpi.  And it checks the size and dpi and will let me know if the image is not in that format.  The timing out only occurs after the checks (as far as I can tell).

I haven't tried a stronger connection.  I do not think that the connection speed is the issue because the upload reaches 100% and then it says in the bottom left corner, "Waiting for lulu", where it sits for a minute and then the error appears.

There could be something wrong with the cover.  I am able to upload images for the front and back cover, and these images are just parts of the one-piece cover.  So maybe I made a mistake when making the one-piece cover as a composite of them.  I'll try to redo the cover and see what happens.

• Well, it was something wrong with the image.  I got it figured out.  Thank you all for the help and the quick responses!