Royalties?

I'm going to be pedantic here for a moment...

We should really stop referring to the profits authors receive from Lulu as "royalties." They are nothing of the kind. The authors are the publishers of their books. Publishers do not pay themselves royalties. They make profits.

If a Lulu author were to publish a book for another author and pay them a share of the profits, that would be a royalty. Or if a non-author were to publish books through Lulu, what they pay their authors would royalties. But as the publisher their own share of the proceeds would be a profit, not a royalty they pay to themselves.

Comments

• Ron is absolutely correct in his pedantry, but only if you purchase and apply your own ISBN to your book.

When you use a free Lulu ISBN, author income is classified as royalties by the US tax authority.

• Glenn_Lulu wrote:

Ron is absolutely correct in his pedantry, but only if you purchase and apply your own ISBN to your book.

When you use a free Lulu ISBN, author income is classified as royalties by the US tax authority.

I should imagine that's because Lulu is then technically the publisher of the book, at least so far as the ISBN is concerned.

I am the publisher of my own books, and I pay myself royalties. I am quite satisfied with me as a publisher, and I am quite satisfied with me as an author. Our mutual esteem has led to a fruitful collaboration.  Smiley Happy 

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

Ron is correct and I have been saying it for years. Now, Lulu being the sort of official technical publisher for American tax laws, what about those people who do not pay American tax? Or does Glenn mean the tax Lulu pay from their own income?

It's irrelevant really because there's no real reason it cannot be renamed Profit on Lulu's site.