Help! - Converting an illustrated children's book into an ebook...

I know how to turn regular paperback books into ebooks but I have never done that with illustrated children's books and that are also in color. What are the requirements for turning a color illustrated children's paperback book into an ebook? The paperback that I want to turn into an ebook is 8.5 x 8.5 inches in size which I made 8.75 x 8.75 in for full bleed. 

Comments

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

I know how to turn regular paperback books into ebooks but I have never done that with illustrated children's books and that are also in color. What are the requirements for turning a color illustrated children's paperback book into an ebook? The paperback that I want to turn into an ebook is 8.5 x 8.5 inches in size which I made 8.75 x 8.75 in for full bleed. 

Do you mean a PDF or an ePub?

If you mean a PDF then just use the Print Ready PDF created by the Wizard for the print book.

If you mean an ePub, then for a start page size is irrelevant to them. I use A4.

Bleed is also irrelevant because ePubs don't really have pages.

Take a read of this >>  http://connect.lulu.com/t5/eBook-Formatting-Publishing/eBook-Creator-Guide/ta-p/109443

Do not forget though, that not all e-reading devices are in colour.

• I'm almost at the point of giving up on illustrated ebooks. No matter what I do the pictures come out smaller than I thought they would. They also look different on different devices. It seems that the bigger the image I start off with the more it gets compressed yet even using a 600 x 800 pixel image does not produce satisfactory results across all devices.

If you find the solution please do share it here.

• Em_PressEm_Press Professor

My suggestions:

Resize images to 6x6.

Make sure they are RGB. For epub, I would start with 150 dpi, view in Adobe Digital Editions. If they are still too big make them 96 dpi. Insert in Word doc, upload to Lulu, convert, download and check in Sigil.  Make title H1, as well as About the Author and About the Illustrator. Update/generate table of contents. Reupload to Lulu.com.

Remember, with a touch of their finger readers can zoom into images. So, don't worry about them too much.

A citizen of the world.

• I was referring to ePubs. When turning the paperback of the color illustrated children's book into an ebook I should just leave the ebook manuscript same size as that of the paperback manuscript? And what about the TOC? This book is a story so there are no headings... It's just illustrations with text on them... How would the TOC thing work?

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

I was referring to ePubs. When turning the paperback of the color illustrated children's book into an ebook I should just leave the ebook manuscript same size as that of the paperback manuscript?

Yes. Size does not matter, but the size of the illustrations will.

And what about the TOC? This book is a story so there are no headings... It's just illustrations with text on them... How would the TOC thing work?

Did you not read the contents of the links I pasted? It's very important that you do because pages to be used for conversion to an ePub are very different from ones for a printed book.

Anyway. If you want an ISBN and Dist for your ePub then there has to be a TOC, and the Wizard creates it from anything you tag with Heading Style 1. The bare minimum for Dist is the Title and the word Copyright on the Copyright page. Do those two and it should pass.