Kill the Poet

Someone had told me to kill the poet a few years ago. I was writing a magazine article and I did. Kill the poet. The article ended up being boring, dry, and boring. I use the same word twice in one phrase. The poet is dead. That being said, there is something to be said about killing the poet when choosing a title for your book.  Especially if one does not like marketing.

Choosing the right title, with a relevant keyword takes care of half the marketing for you.

Example, if your book is about Buddha, the title should be something with his name in it. Say, "A Date with Buddha."

Not "Hello, Who Are You?"

Buddha is already famous, people are looking him up all the time. So are Jesus, and Moses, and Allah, and so on.

So, if your book is about one of these, or about another topic, make sure your include that in your title. It will help people find your book.

A citizen of the world.

Comments

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

Very true, but I don't get your title Kill The Poet. Was it fiction for example?

• NO! I'm a poet. Please don't kill me! lol

In all seriousness, I wish I could've taken your advice before I published. Maybe adding Jesus in the title would've helped, but I have faith in my books and I have a strong feeling they will be successful. I already feel successful though after publishing them.

If I come out with another book sometime, I'll take your advice. My poems are faith oriented. I'm a Christian. :-)

-Dwayne

• Em_PressEm_Press Professor

That's pretty funny, Kevin. I'm actually being poetic with the title. Smiley Wink

But, to clarify, the advice I had gotten was "kill the poet" because my article was too creative, fuid, juicy, interesting -- poetic.

A citizen of the world.

Dwayne,

If your book is doing well, then keep your artistic title. If not, then it  may be worth a try to add a relevant keyword in the title. Half the battle won. The other half -- good text, formatting, cover design -- and some prayers.

A citizen of the world.

• Thanks, Em_Press. I like your advice and it's something I never thought of. I know a title can mean everything. It seems like the smallest details help sell books. But my book is doing pretty well right now. A few have read it.

I just thought I'd add more detail in the keywords section of the publishing process. I think those help, too. The Road to Jesus has a good ring to it, though. Maybe that will be the title to a future project. :-)

• I believe that what she is saying could be summed up in the line from Hamlet, "More matter and less art," or, in modern terms, "Get to the point."

A story can be flowery and esoteric and have subtle nuances, because by the time you've gotten the reader into the story, he's already latched in. But a title or a blurb needs to get to the point, say what needs to be said, and be done.

A profound point, and very useful.

Brilliantly put, Skoob. Thank you.

A citizen of the world.

Titles that get to the point and give a good clue as to the content to those interested in those subjects is always a good idea, but it's even more important to use the right words as metatags that your potential readers may be searching for. Metatags are what many search engines search for. If one has a book about Jesus then Jesus should be one of the metatags, for example.

https://searchenginewatch.com/sew/how-to/2067564/how-to-use-html-meta-tags

That explains about drawing people to websites and their pages, but don't forget that our books are on webpages. You also do not need to know HTML because sites like Lulu have a handy metatag section towards the end of the Wizard where you can insert some Keywords.

• Thanks, Kevin! I did put Jesus as a keyword, as well as other Christian-based keywords. Now as Em_Press said to do, I've been praying over this book. :-)

demcleod wrote:
    Thanks, Kevin! I did put Jesus as a keyword, as well as other Christian-based keywords. Now as Em_Press said to do, I've been praying over this book. :-)

If only prayers sold books.

Could I make a few observations about your book? I get told off if I do so unasked, even though it's not only myself who does it!

• Who says they don't?