US letter format

As a French author, Lulu has always the French parameters by defaults when I enter it. Today  simulating the creation of a book, I noticed only two B&W hardback formats are marked "mondial" (worldwide) for distribution : roman (6x9 inches) and US Letter (20.94 x 27.3cm). Then I checked this with the list of distributable formats in the folder "apprendre" (learn). There I found that US letter hardback is not available.

My question is : is it available for UK authors?

Comments

• Without looking, I am not sure  Smiley Happy If I give you the link to the UK section will you be able to see it as UK?

http://www.lulu.com/create/books

Not that it actually says UK, but it shows the UK flag.

If that does not work just change your country setting.

But did you not read the posting about some sizes no longer being possible on the Australian site? for example. Apparently to do with taxes.

• You are right , Kevin, I should have switched to the UK portal to check it. I have just done it. There is the same discrepancy for the UK. Look.

US letter-B.jpgUS letter-A.jpg

• I tried the US portal, too. Same problem.

• Interesting.

Although nowadays I always use A5 (paperback) of which there seems to be no option for an A5 as a hardbacked. Or A4. Both international common sizes. There also seems to be only the option for full-colour in the Trade sized hardbacks. Is POD really so restrictive? Or is it to do with what retailers will accept from Lulu (with an ISBN)?

It's becomes even stranger if you look at the US site. A5 Premium paperback on there is called US Trade, which means nothing to me. One would have thought that a self-publishing site often used for one-offs would use international sizes or just the dimensions in inches and CMs. That's what I would have to look for if I did not use the UK settings!

• The problem is that the B&W hardback US Letter format is among the global options when you start a hardback project, while it is not in the global list given in "Learn". When I have time, I'll make a simulation with an old file to see what happens.  

• Hi jean-Paul,

The letter size is not, to my knowledge, available for distribution through Lulu.

The picture you pasted in shows the trade sizes (6 x 9) with the distribution check mark: 

Screen Shot 2016-02-29 at 3.12.14 PM.png

But the letter size doesn't have this mark, indicating we won't be able to apply an ISBN/distribute.

I double checked in the French/US/UK stores and see all three show only the trade size for distribution of hardcover books.

• Thanks a lot, Paul.

So only the formats with the check mark are available. I should have noticed it. Just curious, where (outside the US/UK/French "area") are the formats without it available?

• For distribution, our list of available formats is universal, so it should be the same in all regions. 

I do know that the list of formats (including distribution and non-distribution) can vary based on the store you are in, if that particular printer (servicing the region) is unable to print that size/format. 

• potetjppotetjp Professor

Paul_Lulu a écrit :

For distribution, our list of available formats is universal, so it should be the same in all regions. 

I do know that the list of formats (including distribution and non-distribution) can vary based on the store you are in, if that particular printer (servicing the region) is unable to print that size/format. 

Thanks a lot, Paul.

Unless I misunderstood,  at the present moment, there is no region where the B&W hardback US letter format is avaiable, So I suppose it is displayed in the list pending the day when it might be available, otherwise it wouldn't be there, would it?

• We can do the paperback for distribution (8.5 x 11 b&w), just not the hardcover. We can still make hardcover books 8.5 x 11 (or 8.25 x 10.75 for hardcover), we just can't distribute them.

• potetjppotetjp Professor

Thanks a  lot, Paul. Things are quite clear now.