Bookcovers

Hello Everyone,

This may be a familiar subject to many in reference to bookcover created in Microsoft Word. I completed a front and back cover for a printed book in Word 2010. Used the proper paper size and all however upon installing them on the mirror theme there is an exclimation mark saying that the covers might not look clear when printed. That is the only warning. By the way, I had converted each image to PNG as recommended.

The front cover is rather convoluted with sever images on a larger image with faded edges. Some have been recolored as well. The back cover, not so complicated but has the plot summary and one image. I have spent the day trying to recreate something close to those bookcovers using Lulu's wizard but there does not seem to be a way to even get close which i can certainly live with if i have to but I am tempted to got through with those covers inspite of the warning. Common sense would be to act on what I am told from people in the know and move on... however I tend to lean to "if there is a chance" type common sense. 

So I will ask these questions:

1) When the warning says might not print clearly, is there a possibility that it might come out ok?

2) The best thing for me to do if I use those covers in spite of the warning is order a proof copy, but I do not see... or have not seen yet, the opportunity to order a proof. I am as far as the bookcover wizard. Will there be an opportunity at some point after moving beyond the cover wizard or is there another direction i need to go for the proof. 

Thank you again for any advice

Double K

Comments

• Quite often, Lulu puts the exclamation mark in a triangle on my elaborate cover pictures because it is oversensitive. The first time it happened, I had the proof copy printed all the same. Despite the warning, my cover was exactly what I wanted. Below the sort of cover that had the warning. As you can see the result is quite good.

LIV-CON-ABS-H-4x5.jpg

• The best thing for you to do is take your images and increase the size and resolution in Photoshop or Irfanview. Or buy higher quality images to start. Why waste money on a proof if you know that it will likely be blurry?

Also, there is a chance it will be refused for distribution if image quality is not good.

A citizen of the world.

• HULSEYHULSEY UK Publisher

I think I've had that warning on all twenty-five of my books. I ignore it and they have turned out fine.

• I suggest you don't use word to create an image in, use dedicated image software (and create/save as a 300dpi jpg with minumum compression.)

Try this >>    http://www.gimp.org/

• Potetip,

Seeing how your cover turned out is definitely encouraging. You do have a flair for colorful bookcovers. Half the fun of writing is putting together a good bookcover. I spent hours on several prototypes until I settled on the ones I wanted to use.

From what I can tell, once the images are taken into Word, they don't come out the same quality. That is an educated guess but I do not believe that they have the same resulution as the orginal image.

I think I will go ahead with the covers and order a proof copy. I am not familiar with this process though. Will I have an opportunity to order a proof copy at some point after I have completed the bookcover wizard?

Thank you for your quick response and any future advice you may provide.

Double K

• Sound advice.

Logic dictates exactly what you advise, however curiosity will likely get the best of me. I would not want this book to be distributed if the quality was not acceptable anyway.  I do not have Photoshop or Irfan View. It is good software but on the expensive side. A proof copy will give me the answer for this and any future covers I may make. Word has a good program for covers and hopefully I can continue using it.

Thank you for your response

Double K

• Thank you for your advice. I will check the link you suppllied. I have heard of Gimp but stayed with Word because I am so familiar with it and there was no additional cost.  It would be nice to know if Word will continue to work, or if I will have to invest in another program. A proof copy will tell me yea or nay.

Thank you again for your reply.

Double K

• The words you wrote are music to my ears. I will go through with the orginal covers and be cautiously optimistic. 

Thank you for your quick reply with encouraging words. I would just as soon use Word in the future rather than invest in another software, but the proof copy will tell all.

Double K 

• Doublek a écrit :

From what I can tell, once the images are taken into Word, they don't come out the same quality. That is an educated guess but I do not believe that they have the same resulution as the orginal image.

Thanks Doublek.

I make my cover pictures with Photoshop in the JPEG format, and upload them directly to Lulu. I don't need to go through any wordprocessor for that.

Now, you could well be mentioning an image-processing program associated with MS-Word. in this case, once your picture is ready, the best is to upload it from there to Lulu when you are prompted to by Lulu during the cover-making stage. Smiley Happy

• If you mean upload directly from Word, I don't think I am able to do that unless i am missing something. I am sure there is a big differnece between Photo Shop and Word. As far as I know, I can not upload directly from Word because when the image is converted to JPEG or PNG it is sent to the folder of my choice then I upload from there. I use "Enterprise" for image conversion. Upon download, it attaches itself to word and becomes part of the Word Program.

Double K

• Doublek a écrit :

If you mean upload directly from Word, I don't think I am able to do that unless i am missing something. I am sure there is a big differnece between Photo Shop and Word. As far as I know, I can not upload directly from Word because when the image is converted to JPEG or PNG it is sent to the folder of my choice then I upload from there. I use "Enterprise" for image conversion. Upon download, it attaches itself to word and becomes part of the Word Program.

Double K

Smiley Happy  I don't understand why your JPEG picture for your cover gets attached to Word and becomes part of it. Don't you have a picture gallery called "My Pictures", that is independent from all the other programs, but from which pictures can be exported to other programs?

MS-Word is a word-processor. I have it, but I don't use it. My word-processor is Wordperfect.  I create my pictures with Photoshop, that is an image-processor. I understood you created your cover picture with another image-processor. The problem is that you called it Word. There is no such thing as an image-processor called "Word", so I concluded you meant an image-processor supplied with MS-Word. Whatever, your pictures should be in your gallery on your computer.

Now, I can embed a JPEG picture from my collection into a text written with WP, and I you can do the same with MS-Word. but this has nothing to do with the covers of our books with Lulu.

When I create a book with Lulu, comes the stage where I make my cover. For the front cover, I upload the JPEG picture I have prepared for it from my collection on my computer. You've got to do the same. If you have downloaded your JPEG picture straight from your gallery on your computer, despite the warning (!) the printed cover will be good.

• It dawns upon me that you are creating a one-piece cover on a template supplied by Lulu. Is that the case?

• Word has a good program for covers and hopefully I can continue using it

Which program is that?

• If you mean upload directly from Word, I don't think I am able to do that unless i am missing something.

No you cannot. You save the file and upload from the folder it saved in.

I am sure there is a big differnece between Photo Shop and Word.

A huge difference because they are not really for the same purpose. The clue is in the names.

As far as I know, I can not upload directly from Word because when the image is converted to JPEG or PNG it is sent to the folder of my choice then I upload from there.

Are you sure you are using Word? I am currently looking at Save As in Word and it has no option to Save As an image file.

I use "Enterprise" for image conversion. Upon download, it attaches itself to word and becomes part of the Word Program.

I have just searched for that and cannot find it.

• Yes, that is exactly the situation. Microsoft Word 2010 has many good features within it for making book covers such as picture on picture, recolor, soft edges and a number of other choices that make it a good program for book covers. So the process is to set the cover size (6 x9), insert pictures, resize as needed, then do special effects and so on. If that info is redundant to you, my apologies. But that is the case. The finished product fits perfically on the template in the wizard but with warning mark in the upper left corner.
  • I have MS Office 2010 which includeds Word. It has tools for putting things on to the pages as illustrations for books etc, but it's not an art prog. You really need an art prog and create as 300dpi jpgs. Can you even upload a docx to the Cover Wizard?

• That is correrct. It is within Microsoft Word 2010 and 2013 as well. I ran across a tutorial on how to make your own bookcovers using Microsoft Word 2010 and took it from there. It is saved as Word Doc, then converted to desired format.

• That is the program I am using. It actually does have a good program for bookcovers. I wasn't aware of it until i ran across a tutorial on how to make your own book covers using Microsoft Word 2010 and was surpised at how much it offered. The cover is saved as docx then converted to JPEG or PNG...or what ever is required for upload. The tutorial link is below if you are curious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxrhP8wOg_0

• Yes, I am actually using Microsoft Word 2010. The image is saved as docx then I convert the docx to the desired format... JPEG or PNG and uploaded into the wizard. Late last year I came across a tutorial on how creat your own book covers and was surprised to see how much could be accomplished with it.

The link is below if you want to see the video I am talking about. Also, "Kutools" is the actual name of the program for conversion along with other uses. "Enterprise" is associated with Kutools.

• It is Microsoft Word 2010 that I use for the book covers. I came across a tutorial on how to make your own book covers with Microsoft Word 2010 and was suprised to see how much it had to offer. Of course not being familiar with Photo Shop, I'm sure I am easily impressed. But it seems to have a good probram for covers and it was one that I already had.  I set the page size in Word to 6 x 9 to creat the covers. Once the pictures are inserted into Word it is saved as docx. Upon completion, a program called "Kutools" will convert the docx image to preferred format.

I have converted the front and back covers to PNG because that is what they recommend and will push through the cover process tonight. I am hoping that there is an opportunity to order a proof copy before i finalize everthing for distribution. I would hate for it to go out substandard. Actually they probably would not approve it for distribution anyway if it was not up to standards.

Here is the link to that tutorial if you are at all courious about it.

• Hi Kevin,

Just another word about Word...no pun intended. I had refered to Word as having a good program for book covers. What I meant was that there is ability within it to create book covers.

Thanks

Double K

• Thanks for the video, Doublek. This is quite a good image-processor devised for the creation of cover pictures. Congratulations. There should be no reason why the resulting picture wouldn't print well. Go ahead.  Smiley Happy 

• You wont convince me that Word is good for creating covers in. But I create mine freehand 100% in an art/photo prog as jpgs, and see no point then inserting them in to another prog. I note that the description for that video says 'basic'.

Your problem could have arisen due to creating in Word and then converting it, and then uploading to the Cover Wizard that converts yet again.

• Thanks Potetip,

I went through with the covers so I will know as soon as the proof gets here. Not sure how long that will take. Hopefully they will turn out well.  If not, going to invest in a different program. I enjoy woking on a book cover that says something besides the title.

Double K