Considering using Lulu and a local printer

Hi I am part of a small not-for-profit that are making curriculum for youth groups that teach leadership.  We like the idea of Lulu for its distrution to Amazon and Barnes and nobel, but we still want to sell from our website and ship out ourselves (not just link to amazon or lulu).

However it costs so much to buy from Lulu and ship to us and then turn around and ship to the customer.  So I was considering using both Lulu and a local printer.  Lulu would be for Amazon and Barnes and Nobel and the local printer would be for us to ship from our business.

Is this possible?  From what I understand if we did that I couldn't use Lulu's free ISBN, I would have to purchase our own and just provide to lulu and the the local printer.  Is this correct?  I appreciate any help, we are just getting going.  Thanks, Brandy

Comments

• Hi I am part of a small not-for-profit that are making curriculum for youth groups that teach leadership.  We like the idea of Lulu for its distrution to Amazon and Barnes and nobel, but we still want to sell from our website and ship out ourselves (not just link to amazon or lulu).

Lulu do do discounts for larger orders, you can work them out here >>  http://www.lulu.com/create/books   shipping may even be cheaper per unit because they will all be in one shipment, but also keep your eyes open for Lulu's special offers such as free shipping.

However it costs so much to buy from Lulu and ship to us and then turn around and ship to the customer.  So I was considering using both Lulu and a local printer.  Lulu would be for Amazon and Barnes and Nobel and the local printer would be for us to ship from our business.

Is this possible?

Lulu does not insist on restrictions.

From what I understand if we did that I couldn't use Lulu's free ISBN, I would have to purchase our own and just provide to lulu and the the local printer.  Is this correct?

No. I don't think there's even any Lulu rules to say you cannot take the Print Ready PDFs the Project Wizards create (which you can download) to a local printer - also. Having the same ISBN in those you print yourself may not be a handicap if you also use Lulu's free ISBN and Dist service. But note that I say also. If you do not also use Lulu's Dist option then you cannot use their ISBNs.

One problem you will discover is actually finding a local printer who owns POD book machines, they are far from cheap, and those that do may insist on bulk orders, possibly in the 100s, or low print runs may cost more than you expect.

Why do you wish to also fill the orders yourself though? What's the advantage to not linking visitors to your own site to where they can buy it from? That's what many people do.

You would not face such problems if you also sold as a PDF and/or ePub.

• NextInLine a écrit :

Hi I am part of a small not-for-profit that are making curriculum for youth groups that teach leadership.  We like the idea of Lulu for its distrution to Amazon and Barnes and nobel, but we still want to sell from our website and ship out ourselves (not just link to amazon or lulu).

Hi. Make two editions a public one and a private one.

The public edition would be made with Lulu, hold a Lulu ISBN, and be distributed by Lulu, Amazon, Barnes  & Noble, Ingram, etc.

You cannot use the Lulu ISBN for your private edition with your local printer. Use the same file on your computer; give it a new file name, and remove the Lulu ISBN from the copyright page. Either you will add a new ISBN bought from some agency, or you will leave the book without an ISBN. Then check with your local printer what dimensions and other characteristics they want. You might have to adjust what was originally prepared for Lulu.

• You cannot use the Lulu ISBN for your private edition with your local printer.

I am not sure that it says in Lulu's rules that you cannot, as long as it's in addition to also using Lulu's actual distribution service. * It's often implied on here that one can use the ISBN option at the start of a Project, and then switch it to Direct or even Private at the end of the Project, giving the book an ISBN but no Dist. A strange concept, but there you go.

Use the same file on your computer; give it a new file name, and remove the Lulu ISBN from the copyright page. Either you will add a new ISBN bought from some agency, or you will leave the book without an ISBN.

It could be confusing to have the same identical book with two ISBNs (One for Lulu Dist and one otherwise) because unless you do the above * retailers could also find the book and list it for sale, twice! And with the second ISBN the publisher who owns it would have to fulfill orders, anywhere. One could have no ISBN, but one can look on an ISBN as a sort of 'For further copies search for this ISBN' advert, which at times one does see on Copyright pages. I see no harm in leaving the Lulu one on it, but as I said, only if one also uses Lulu's dist service as well as buying stock to fulfill orders oneself. But in the long run, only Lulu staff can answer if they object to someone also having some printed elsewhere and leaving the Lulu ISBN in it.

To be honest, is it not easier to just point people to where they can buy it from due to Lulu's Dist? Some sites even offer free shipping, and one still gets a payment no matter where the book is bought from. People in the USA may prefer Amazon US and those in the UK may prefer Amazon UK, and so on. Famous retailers.

Then check with your local printer what dimensions and other characteristics they want. You might have to adjust what was originally prepared for Lulu.

Indeed, that is if they do have POD BOD machines. One can start here >>  http://www.printondemand-worldwide.com/services/short-run-books    but if they have a place local enough to not involve one having to pay shipping costs depends on where one lives. Many local ones and online ones do not do books.

• Thank you for both responses and your time.

Why do you wish to also fill the orders yourself though? What's the advantage to not linking visitors to your own site to where they can buy it from? That's what many people do.

Our main reason for wanting to fill the orders ourselves, is we want our company to be really personable and form relationships with our customers. So I am desiging packaging and such that reflects that etc.  If Amazon or Lulu packages I'm afraid it would be too impersonal.

Because of this goal.  I am considering not doing an ISBN and just selling from our website and sell to Amazon but fulfill ourselves (again so we do the packaging.)  If we are always the ones to fulfill, I don't know that we would need the ISBN.  (Note our product is curriculum that churches would buy, so selling at a traditional bookstore wouldn't be of much benefit to us.)

• Our main reason for wanting to fill the orders ourselves, is we want our company to be really personable and form relationships with our customers. So I am desiging packaging and such that reflects that etc.  If Amazon or Lulu packages I'm afraid it would be too impersonal.

Yes that can be true, and yet did you not say you also want to go the Lulu ISBN and Dist route? Or even only for sale on a Lulu Spotlight, and they will not have your own packaging.

Because of this goal.  I am considering not doing an ISBN

That does sound the sensible option, But why use Lulu at all then if you wish to use a Local POD printer? Just create a book-formatted PDF on your PC and take that along.

and just selling from our website

A few people who use Lulu do do that, but very often their sites have a link to Lulu Spotlights where their book can be ordered from but the customer. It saves a lot of hassle and multiple shipping costs.

and sell to Amazon

I am sure "to" applies, perhaps you mean sell via? One can have a Market Place on Amazon to sell via.

but fulfill ourselves (again so we do the packaging.)

I think there is an Amazon option where you can provide them with stock and Amazon fulfill the orders. But it's not a free service  >>   http://www.wikihow.com/Sell-Books-on-Amazon

If we are always the ones to fulfill, I don't know that we would need the ISBN.

No, there would be no point, but if it was your own ISBN, your own print supplier, etc etc, then you would be fulfilling the orders as the registered publisher.

(Note our product is curriculum that churches would buy, so selling at a traditional bookstore wouldn't be of much benefit to us.)

But churches do have suppliers, and they are often stores that even the general public can buy from.

This is just one example >>  http://www.churchsupplywarehouse.com/catalog_subcategory.asp_Q_categoryId_E_125_A_Local_Text_Books_E_Local_Text_Books

Most bookshops also have such areas >>    http://www.amazon.com/Religion-Spirituality-Books/b?ie=UTF8&node=22

And just in my locality I can think of four shops that sell religious orientated books and have cafes and drop-in centres, and even churches sell booklets etc. Search your own locality.

What exactly is your book? Not all such items need to be printed by companies who make books.  There's always these type of options >>>  http://www.vistaprint.com/custom-brochures.aspx?txi=17051&xnid=TopNav_Brochures+(Clone)+(linked+item)_Marketing+Materials&xnav=TopNav

You could even make them yourself up to A4 with a decent A3 printer and >>>   http://www.mybinding.com/binding/binding-machines.html?utm_source=msn&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=(roi)+binding+machines&utm_content=binding+machines+(exact)&utm_term=binding%20machines