Sales?

One often sees people asking in the forum about their sales reports, if they have come in, if they are right, etc.

Many of the sites Lulu distribute to do not send out payment until a fixed amount has been sold. Often up to $20. Do not forget you are not getting paid the full retail amount, only the profit (royalty) you have set, so if you have set it at $1 then 20 have to be sold before you get paid.

Some sites tally up the month's earnings, and pay it the end of the following month.

Most pay out at the end of month. (They like to hang on to it as long as possible because they earn interest on it in their banks.)

People may tell you they have bought your book when in fact they have not. Those who do not sell many, or at times any, will notice this and wonder.

Those 'rules' do not always apply if you publish directly to those sites. Amazon, for example, pay out almost immediately on any sale and send an email to say so. That may only apply to Kindle books, though.

Comments

• It is not true that Amazon pay you instantly. They pay once a month, just as Lulu does. You can see the sale soon after it occurs but you have to wait to get the money.

I don't believe the thing about the $ 20 either. I have often had the odd sale, from one of the distribution partners, for less than $ 1 show up in my revenue report and this money makes up part of the sum that Lulu pays to me.

Where do you get this information from?

• Amazon does report the sale instantly if the book is sold on Amazon and they are affiliated with the POD. It takes about three weeks to receive sales data from other retailers.

A citizen of the world.

• I agree that you can see an Amazon sale right away but they only pay once a month. They send you an email to say that they will be making a deposit into your account and tell you when it will it will arrive, but this is not the same as being paid instantly, as Kevin has suggested.

This is what Amazon say about getting paid:

Getting Paid

We'll automatically pay your royalties about sixty (60) days after the end of the calendar month during which applicable sales occur, once threshold is met. You'll need to complete required account information in order to receive payments.

• You`re right, Daniel. I suspect we all intend to say the same thing.

A citizen of the world.

• It is not true that Amazon pay you instantly. They pay once a month, just as Lulu does. You can see the sale soon after it occurs but you have to wait to get the money.

It is true.

I don't believe the thing about the $ 20 either.

I forget the amount, that was just an example, seeing as I said other places also. but it's also true, and often pointed out here.

(With Lulu it's $5 if paid to Paypal and $20 if paid by cheque.)

I have often had the odd sale, from one of the distribution partners, for less than $ 1 show up in my revenue report and this money makes up part of the sum that Lulu pays to me.

I did say "some."

Where do you get this information from?

I get it from the sites, from what I get, and also from what the Mods keep saying on Lulu.

• I received an email from Amazon at least over a year ago to say that payments will be instant from that point on. But that's only for those who publish to them directly. It's also possible it could only be kindles via KindleDirect, not printed books via Createspace, and even only those who are members of AuthorCentral.

None of that is anything to do with Lulu, though.

• kevinlomas wrote:

I received an email from Amazon at least over a year ago to say that payments will be instant from that point on. But that's only for those who publish to them directly. It's also possible it could only be kindles via KindleDirect, not printed books via Createspace, and even only those who are members of AuthorCentral.

None of that is anything to do with Lulu, though.

No, that's not correct. Kindle books published direct to Amazon via KindleDirect, whether or not the authors are members of AuthorCentral, get paid once a month.

Edit: You get one payment per month per territory.

• Thank you, Richard. The voice of reason rocks!

I get paid by Amazon once a month, every month - several payments, for different territories but all at the same time - so it is a little irritating to be told that they pay instantly.

Information is the most precious commodity on earth. If we, as authors, cannot express ourselves clearly so that there is no ambiguity as to our meaning then there is something very wrong with this state of affairs. Write any fiction you like, but please take with facts; people need to be able to trust that they are correct.

• Who said instantly? But I did indeed get that email from Amazon, and I do indeed get it not long after, not once a month or when it's reached a certain level, after all there's no reason why not because it's all done electronically, and perhaps Amazon like me  Smiley Very Happy

But it would be a good idea to read what else I said, or can you not find anything to argue about with that?  Smiley Frustrated

• kevinlomas wrote:

Who said instantly?

Smiley Surprised

Seriously?

• Just in case anyone believes Kevin I have had payments for less than $ 20 from the following retailers:

Google

Scribd

Oyster

Kobo

Nook

Kalahari

Gardners

Amazon ( for books distributed through Lulu)

Clearly only one of us is correct. Believe him at you peril; this is a man who cannot distinguish between one month and almost immediately.

• Richard_Coady wrote:

kevinlomas wrote:

Who said instantly?

Smiley Surprised

Seriously?

Seriously what?  "... pay out almost immediately" is not instantly. (Rolls eyes.)

• You really do need to read what I said. Recall that PM you sent me saying sorry for jumping the gun?

End of.

• kevinlomas wrote:

Richard_Coady wrote:

kevinlomas wrote:

Who said instantly?

Smiley Surprised

Seriously?

Seriously what?  "... pay out almost immediately" is not instantly. (Rolls eyes.)

Sometimes I think you do this on purpose because you like the argument. OK, I'll bite.

DanielBlue: It is not true that Amazon pay you instantly.

You: It is true.

You: I received an email from Amazon at least over a year ago to say that payments will be instant from that point on.

Anyway, differentiating between 'pay out almost immediately' and 'instantly' is just being pedantic. Yes, strictly speaking they're different, but the point you were making was that Amazon would pay out incrementally rather than paying you on a monthly basis. DanielBlue and I were simply pointing out that that was incorrect. 

So it doesn't matter whether you said 'almost immediately' or 'instantly' because either way you were making the same point. Which was wrong.

Rolls eyes.

• kevinlomas wrote:

You really do need to read what I said. Recall that PM you sent me saying sorry for jumping the gun?

End of.

I assume you're referring to danielBlue?