newbie using Word template - inside cover Q

Hello - I'm just about done laying out my book in Word (latest version) and am confused about the style guide directions - do I need to leave a blank page at the start and end of the book to allow for the blank inside cover pages, or are those automatically added by Lulu? I can't tell if the page spread I'm seeing on my screen is what will print. I'm planning to save as PDF before I upload.

thanks!!

Comments

• The interior PDF is separate from the cover PDF.

You only need one blank page at the end of your interior PDF.

Cover consists of front and back only, No inside flap content for print on demand books.

A citizen of the world.

• Thanks - I know there's no interior cover content, I just wasn't sure if I had to allow for those blanks. Thanks for clarifying!

• potetjppotetjp Professor

The last page has to be blank, and the total number of pages has to be divisible by 4.

I prefer to have 2 blank pages at the beginning and 2 blank pages at the end. These are called "pages de garde" in French, and are the mark of quality books. This is not practiced in all countries.  Smiley Happy

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

Hello - I'm just about done laying out my book in Word (latest version) and am confused about the style guide directions - do I need to leave a blank page at the start and end of the book to allow for the blank inside cover pages,

Sort of, but not a blank page but a blank leaf or two at each end which is two pages per leaf.

Nothing is printed on the inside of the covers, and as Em says, that's a different Wizard further on in a Project Wizard.

or are those automatically added by Lulu?

If need be the printer will add them, but it may mess up page numbering etc., so it's best to add them yourself, not forgetting that they should have no Headers, Footers or numbers on, they have to be fully blank, and that the Title should still be on a right-hand side. Oh, and page count should be divisible by four.

I can't tell if the page spread I'm seeing on my screen is what will print. I'm planning to save as PDF before I upload.

Project Wizards will create a Print Ready PDF that you can take a look at before Continuing. As per your original PDF (or docx) if there are blank pages, then there will be blank pages.  Smiley Happy Then there's always a Proof to buy and examine.

• ok, I think I've got it - will give it a shot. Appreciate the help!

kevinlomas wrote:

Hello - I'm just about done laying out my book in Word (latest version) and am confused about the style guide directions - do I need to leave a blank page at the start and end of the book to allow for the blank inside cover pages,

Sort of, but not a blank page but a blank leaf or two at each end which is two pages per leaf.

Nothing is printed on the inside of the covers, and as Em says, that's a different Wizard further on in a Project Wizard.

or are those automatically added by Lulu?

If need be the printer will add them, but it may mess up page numbering etc., so it's best to add them yourself, not forgetting that they should have no Headers, Footers or numbers on, they have to be fully blank, and that the Title should still be on a right-hand side. Oh, and page count should be divisible by four.

I can't tell if the page spread I'm seeing on my screen is what will print. I'm planning to save as PDF before I upload.

Project Wizards will create a Print Ready PDF that you can take a look at before Continuing. As per your original PDF (or docx) if there are blank pages, then there will be blank pages.  Smiley Happy Then there's always a Proof to buy and examine.