Separate Spotlight for family history project? Better organized?And so on

Hi. I've been very satisfied with lulu - not many sales but I write for fun, that's what's important. I have a question regarding what to do about this newest project and wondered if anyone has advice.

I've done a fair amount of genealogy research on my family, and after discussing it after the death of my great-uncle at age 95 last month, I was encoruaged to produce a small book on it. There would actually be enough to do a story on my great grandparents in the 1910s, except I'd rather not try to put words in their mouths since they're not historical figures; it was one thing doing Abe Lincoln, etc. for my alternate history. Plus, I'm not as certain about the manner of speakinga nd would be a bit concerned about anachronisms, etc.. Still, I wanted to do something more than jsut dry names and dates, so the "This Week in baseball" style caught my attention, and I'm writing up various people with a few small quotes and scenes as if it was a TWiB-style highlight show.

Now, I could put the family tree as a picture and then the story and stuff and have it private except for those who wanted to view it, but it might be something that could sell for a couple bucks. So my questions:

1. Has anyone else had people interested in such books? It's not like there's a lot of detail (that's why I like the TWiB route - I have just enough info to fit in cool stories where I know them, and it can be written in an entertaining way.) but people might get ideas on how to research from it, too. I would just want to create a separate account for it and link to my regular spotlight on that spotlight.

2. Or, would a private apge be better? I've never used a private page before. How does that work? Is that only for when you are working on something and will eventually make it public? Or, can you share it with others if you want

3. With the separate spotlight thought, it made me wonder, is there a way to rearrange books in one's spotlight? I thought it might be nice to have 1 row of Print and one of ebooks, but I haven't really tried to edit it in a logn time.

Thanks a lot for any help/advice.

Comments

• I will let Kevin give you the long answer.

My answer? No one cares about your family history except you and your family. Unless -- you are famous (or will be famous). In that case, everyone will care and you will  make a fortune.

So, don't worry about it too much. Just keep having fun.

A citizen of the world.

• If you think your family will like to purchase copies you can make it "Direct Access" rather than private. That way you can share the book's URL with your family and people can purchase directly from Lulu. Only people who click the link can see the book. Allowing them to purchase directly prevents you from having to order and ship from your account - as you would have to do if the book was in Private access.

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

It's not actually always true that only family members may be interested. Depending on how detailed the book is, those interested in social history may also be interested. There's been a lot of changes over 95 years, not to mention a world war or two.

Was that a long enough answer  Smiley Very Happy

• potetjppotetjp Professor

I have made a private publication with Lulu of my paternal grandparents' biography (two 6x9 volumes, hardbound). I have included the genealogy of my grandfather (1875-1968) up until the early 18th century. It took me years to find, read and analyse all the necessary birth, marriage and death deeds. I couldn't go beyond the 18th century because the church registries are hardly legible. The book is listed among my projects, and remains strictly private because I mention documents that are not yet in the public domain, and say libellous things about some politicians. It is illustrated with black and white pictures, but I plan to add a third volume for colour pictures. Conversely I made public my grand-parents' correspondence on postcards during WWI for the centenary of its declaration in 2014.

• Not long enough, Kevin.

But, my response to him was inappropriate and wrong (I was very tired), and many might want to buy his book. 

A citizen of the world.

• Thanks all, I didn't really know what Direct Access was like, or really how it worked, so that helps a lot.

And, I hadn't even thought about including correspondence, I have a few other documents like my grandparents' leers to each otehr in World War Two, so maybe that will be good for a longer version someday - right now it's just the basics. it would also be better fro a longer version, then.

Of course, I coudl just start the project under Direct Access and change it later. I do think I'll put it in a separate account, though - the more I think about it, I've done that already because in 2002 I did one through iuniverse, so it's not like I don't already have another account somewhere. :-)

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

Thanks all, I didn't really know what Direct Access was like, or really how it worked, so that helps a lot.

And, I hadn't even thought about including correspondence, I have a few other documents like my grandparents' leers

Leers?  Smiley Very Happy I suspect you meant letters?

to each otehr in World War Two, so maybe that will be good for a longer version someday - right now it's just the basics. it would also be better fro a longer version, then.

The more detail the better. I have no idea what the end results are at places like Ancestry.com, but what is done with the end results? Do they not offer a downloadable PDF 'book'? If so that's the way to start.

Of course, I coudl just start the project under Direct Access and change it later. I do think I'll put it in a separate account,

At Lulu you can have as many accounts as you like, but if I was you I would complete the original 100% before thinking of running it through a Project Wizard, even on Private. Do not forget that printed books are not free, so it's the finished item that your family will want. Or you could just create it as a free PDF.

though - the more I think about it, I've done that already because in 2002 I did one through iuniverse, so it's not like I don't already have another account somewhere. :-)

Gosh, that's an expensive option when you can do it on your own PC and then here for free.

http://www.iuniverse.com/Packages/StandardCompare.aspx

Do people really pay that when there's places like Lulu around?