a page from a private book

Entering my name for a Google search about it, I was surprised to see that the rightmost picture displayed by bing.com was from a private book of mine published with Lulu (Saint-Petersburg 2007), a diary on a trip to Russia that was never made public, but gifted to a few friends. You see, while the other pictures are the front pages of some of my books, this particular one is actually the last page of the diary.

images-bing-com.jpg

Now, how could it have been made public? Very puzzling.

Comments

• Is it possible that one of the friends posted photos of the book somewhere, and tagged you in the caption? Or perhaps placed pages on Facebook?

• Well, I just accidentally put in connect.lulu.com in the search bar instead of the url and guess whose name came up? Specific name.

Google is a huge spy.

A citizen of the world.

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

Often in image searchers there's also a link to the site the image appears on, did you not click those?

But it really would not amaze me if search engines can search inside files on sites, such as our Lulu My Files folders.

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

Well, I just accidentally put in connect.lulu.com in the search bar instead of the url and guess whose name came up? Specific name.

Google is a huge spy.

I don't get what you mean. I just did that and anything to do with those words came up. Which is normal.

• potetjppotetjp Professor

Skoob_Ym a écrit :

Is it possible that one of the friends posted photos of the book somewhere, and tagged you in the caption? Or perhaps placed pages on Facebook?

Apart from my own copies, I sent one each to two US friends and the two Russian friends and their families who received me. The Russian parcel was never collected and returned to me three months later, perhaps due to the frozen relations between France and Russia owing to the Ukraine affair. 

I don't think my American friends, who are elderly scholars, ever did that, but I'll ask them all the same.

Em_Press a écrit :

Well, I just accidentally put in connect.lulu.com in the search bar instead of the url and guess whose name came up? Specific name.

Google is a huge spy.

Sorry. What did you exactly do, and what did you exactly get?  

kevinlomas a écrit :

Often in image searchers there's also a link to the site the image appears on, did you not click those?

But it really would not amaze me if search engines can search inside files on sites, such as our Lulu My Files folders.

Yes, after I discovered the problem, I also clicked on the picture, and I was sent to a page stating the book didn't exist or wasn't available, etc. - something like that. Then I checked by clicking on another picture, and I was sent to the Lulu portal - which is normal since the book is public.

The fact that the Russian diary book is represented by its last page, not its front cover, points at someone doing it deliberately. Now, how could this person upload the picture they took themselves in the Google collection of pictures?

I have found the explanation.  Smiley Embarassed  

I myself posted this picture in this forum to illustrate my answer to a query about color books.

This reminds me that any text or picture posted here can turn up in a Google response to a search.

• I am oddly relieved to know that it wasn't the KGB.