my books

Good morning everyone! some questions have arisen about my the weblink to my books. My books can be purchased at my author spotlight. www.lulu.com/spotlight/michaelmorgan511 I've got three picture albums of pictures I took myself. I read kevin's message about copyright infringements. I've decided to remove my work until i can find out where to find pictures i can actually use to illustrate my point. I may not be an expert. I'm just learning something brand new. Thank you! bear with me!

Comments

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

They leave a lot to be desired, not to mention a site's very large watermark copyright on one of your covers. Tut tut.

• Which title has a watermark on it so i can fix it?

• oncewasoncewas Librarian

Life In Space 5 clearly displays the watermark of the copyright owner.

You should not need to be told. Not infringing copyrights (or patents etc etc) is a crucial part of the creation process. You have to ensure that it never happens, and that copyright watermark is right in your face. Just what did you think it was? How could you even think it OK to have a cover with that on? and an unreadable title?

People should read the forums before they publish (and start flaming Shameless, and with no links) because we try to give valuable advice in it.

• You are absolutely right, Kevin. Unless you have express, written permission from the owner of an image (or know as an absolute fact that an image in the public domain) you should not use it. Period. A lot of people have the mistaken idea that simply because an image is on the Internet or because it doesn't have a copyright notice attached that it is free to use. This is not only a mistake it could be a costly one. I have been on the happy side in a copyright infringement suit and I can assure you that you never want to be on the unhappy side.

(PS Where did you get the cover art for 6th Hell?)

Is that...the Disney Castle?

• I'll be the first to admit that some of the covers I've tried will not win any prizes, though I'm happy with my last two. But I at least used my own photos exclusively.

It appears as if very little work went into your covers. They're frankly last-second slop-together jobs.

Ron and Kevin are absolutely right about copyrights: We want to be on the good side of the law here. We live and die by copyrights. If someone were to use the text of your books somewhere else, despite your (c) copyright notices, wouldn't you think that was absolutely unreasonable? And yet here you are, doing that with your cover photos. Tut, tut, indeed. You're lucky the copyright holder hasn't seen it yet... And by the way, jsut taking off the copyright notices won't solve the problem.

If you really want to use those photos, you need to get permission from the copyright holders.

Now, about the text... You consistently fail to capitalize Morgan. This may be a recurring typo, or it may be an affectation, but your readers (if any) will see it as a failure to proofread.

The stories themselves, based on the previews, are one-piece word-bricks written exclusively in the past-participle tense.

If you can't figure out how paragraphs work, at least randomly double-tap the "enter" key a couple times every now and then.

I'm sorry to be so harsh with you, but these books need a phenomenal amount of work. Here is a guide that might help, if you will pay attention and follow its advice:

Writing Tutorial

English Grammar

It's not only Disney's castle but also a very lo-res image taken from a Disney advert.

It is perhaps partly excusable that some people are not knowledgeable about copyrights, but to use a cover with an obvious copyright watermark on it is just unreal.

If you really want to use those photos, you need to get permission from the copyright holders.

Quite right and when it is obtained, and money often changing hands, they will link you to an image without such watermarks. But usually one will not have exclusivity unless a lot of money is handed over, so you will just have a cover like 1000s of others using the same image.

It's not that hard to create an exclusive image. Buy a camera and get out with it. But even so, some people and places carry copyrights ...  Break the word up >> copy right. Do you have it? Who does?

Now, about the text... You consistently fail to capitalize Morgan. This may be a recurring typo, or it may be an affectation, but your readers (if any) will see it as a failure to proofread.

The stories themselves, based on the previews, are one-piece word-bricks written exclusively in the past-participle tense.

If you can't figure out how paragraphs work, at least randomly double-tap the "enter" key a couple times every now and then.

I'm sorry to be so harsh with you, but these books need a phenomenal amount of work.

Oh dear yes. There's many tut tuts awarded and I did point such things out in my PMs to him (it's not possible to reply to Shameless postings, which in many cases is a travesty) while asking him what the point of flaming Shameless was, but with no links.

• I apologize, by the way, for saying that you were right. I would hate for this to interfere in any way with our ongoing arguments.

Smiley Very Happy

Smiley Tongue

• Do me a favor. Don't contact me anymore! I don't like your constant criticism of my work. even though you menawell it's clear you're not interested in my work. Let my fellow readers be interested if they want please! Unless you want me to report your next communication as unwanted to the owner! 

You mean these replies? But do keep in mind we are your readers. We have seen your covers and Previews.

So you are going to ignore all that's been said about copyright infringement? You should not because such infringements can be deleted from Lulu.

• Michael, we're trying to help you.

The biggest compliment one writer can give another is to be brutally honest with him. If you were to find glaring errors in my work, I can only hope that you would be as frank with me as I have been with you.

If you do not wish to hear that, fine. Enjoy... Be warm, be filled, and be of good cheer.

• rd79762000 wrote:

Do me a favor. Don't contact me anymore! I don't like your constant criticism of my work. even though you menawell it's clear you're not interested in my work. Let my fellow readers be interested if they want please! Unless you want me to report your next communication as unwanted to the owner! 

If these people were not interested in your work they wouldn't be taking the time and effort to try to help you make it better.

I make the larger part of my living writing books for traditional commercial publishers. To date, there have been more than fifty, with the latest being The Art of Space (and the next to come out this Fall from Smithsonian Books). In creating these books, I have to work closely with editors and copy editors (and sometimes even fact checkers), which means that the texts go through a rugged gauntlet of criticism, revisions and corrections. I invariably hand in a MS that I think is perfectly clean only to get it back with every page red with corrections and suggestions. I don't take any of this personally: the editors and I are after the same goal---to make the book as good as it can possibly be. The advantage of having people like that going over my MSS with fine-toothed combs is that they are absolutely objective. They will see things I never could have for the simple reason that I am too close to my own work. (And I am firmly convinced that no author, however experienced, can effectively edit their own books.)

In the end, my books are always better for having worked with an editor---and, happily, I have had many excellent ones.

By the bye, just to settle an old wive's tale that pops up all the time among self-publishers, no professional editor ever rewrites anything---not even so far as changing a single word. That is for the author to do. In fact, the final decision as to what to change and how to change it is entirely up to the author. Writing the book is their job, not the editor's. The book needs to be told in the author's voice and in the author's words. Besides, the author may find a better way to make a correction or may even disagree with the editor (though a smart author never dismisses an editor's suggestions lightly). When a book gets to the editorial stage, it becomes in a very real sense a collaborative process...but that collaboration never entails an editor superimposing their voice over the author's.

In any case, what I can assure you of is this: any criticism, suggestions or advice you have gotten in these forums is absolutely nothing compared to what your books would have undergone in the real world. As you said, the advice you have gotten here is well-meant so take it in the spirit in which it was intended...and realize that however harsh it may seem you have probably gotten off lightly.

In the good old days of having to send a manuscript on paper by the post, it was required to have very wide margins and often greater than treble spacing, to allow room for notes to be made, and indeed in red. Usually they also had to be typed, requiring many writers to employ a typist at so much per originally hand-written page. That system could go back and forwards a few times. None of it was cheap!

Eventually the finished work would even have printers' codes written in to those still existing spaces.