conversion contradiction?

Hi, this is a quote from Lulu's epub conversion advice page but I'm not certain what exactly it means...."Although page breaks are automatically removed during the conversion to EPUB file format, a page break is inserted before each use of the Heading 1 and Heading 2 styles to indicate the start of a new chapter or section."

I thought ALL page breaks should be removed before uploading for conversion. Does this mean we SHOULD insert a page break where suggested above, or does the Lulu convertor insert them?

Comments

• E-books are flowable text, so page breaks are NOT needed. Heading 1 and Heading 2 styles are automatically used to create the table of contents for your e-book in the epub conversion. Use Heading 1 for your book title and Heading 2 for chapter numbers or titles.

• Yeah, I understand that. I'm all formatted and ready to go. Just don't understand why it says to insert page breaks before use of heading styles 1 and 2. This is advice quoted on Glenn's own article on manuscript preparation. The above is an actual quote, not something I've misread.

• Just don't understand why it says to insert page breaks before use of heading styles

It doesn't.

"Although page breaks are automatically removed during the conversion to EPUB file format, a page break is inserted before each use of the Heading 1 and Heading 2 styles to indicate the start of a new chapter or section."

The above is an actual quote, not something I've misread.

The quote is referring to what the Lulu conversion process does with regards to page breaks. It says "a page break is inserted" It doesn't say the author should insert page breaks before Heading 1 or 2, as the software will do it when converting to EPUB.

• A docx file for conversion to ePub here is very very simple. It's more or less plain text on a page and no other formatting. The use of Heading Style 1 to tag a word or letter will 'tell' the Wizard that you want it in the TOC, and that will also create virtual breaks.

• Got it! Thank you not2esoteric and Ken, the wording in the article was just somewhat misleading.