How am I supposed to react?

I have discovered my first novel The Archer's Paradox is being offered at three pirate download locations.Not sure how to take this. The ebook is free from Lulu, Amazon, iBooks et al anyway so I'm not losing any money but I don't understand the motivation of pirating a free book or downloading it from a dodgy site when you can get it free anyway. Do I feel angry or secretly impressed with myself for being pirated? Do I just feel happy that more people than I realise are reading my book and that they will hopefully buy the second?

I have not found any evidence that The Flight of the Arrow has fallen to the same fate yet.

Comments

• The best thing that you can do is to ignore it. I don't believe that your books are actually available on these sites - the people running these sites just use them as a lure for their own nefarious purposes.

Sooner, or later, most authors will discover their books listed on such sites. Even if you could get the ISP to shut down the site another would spring up within the hour. Unfortunately too many people want too much for free and end up falling victim to these charlatans.

• I actually had a message left on my FaceBook page from a guy that enjoyed my book so much after downloading from a pirate site that he baought the second from Amazon.Robot surprised

• Chris

I guess that was a happy result but it is rare. The general consensus seems to be that people hardly ever read the free books they download and rarely go on to buy a book from the same author. I know that I am guilty of that in that I have read some wonderful books by self published authors but I hardly ever go back and buy another book. 'Tis the internet you see...it has made us restless. We always have to seek out something new just in case we're missing out on something.

Having said that thought, a book I made available for free on Kindle for one day had 68 downloads and people have started buying and borrowing it again, so I'm happy.

Sites that do actually have pirated content are more worrying than sites that only pretend to have it.

• I am also worried about 'liitle presents' being included in the pirated files.

• I am also worried about 'liitle presents' being included in the pirated files.

That can be true, and with some downloads from some sites like those, that's all that the download consists of. Hopefully sensible people have their PCs equipped to stop them downloading, or just remove them with a scan.

But as you already know, there's no real law to stop sites offering things that are free to start with, but it usually needs to say Open Source on the Copyright page though! (And in the box in the Wizard where you can pick a copyright type.) It is often strange to see Open Source books still have a normal Copyright though!

The problems can start when someone 'rebrands' you book with their name etc.

But on a similar subject, I thought it a bit iffy when sites like Apple started to insist that DRM was removed from the ebooks they offered. Some saw no problem with that, but there surely is.

• ChrisDevine wrote:

I actually had a message left on my FaceBook page from a guy that enjoyed my book so much after downloading from a pirate site that he baought the second from Amazon.Robot surprised

In theory -- and I am not a lawyer; this is not advice -- You could find the owner / registree of the website and go after him for damages, if the website were based in a country with actual copyright laws. If it's a site hosted in Burkina Faso or Bolivia or some such place, there's not much you can do.

If the eBook was free to start with, you'd be hard-pressed to show that he did you "actual harm," -- that is, that you lost money -- and it is my understanding that actual harm is the key to damages. Once establishing actual harm (i.e., that he got royalties that belonged to you) then you could go for punitive damages.

Again, I'm not a lawyer.