back cover colour

Hi, I did what I thought was going to be a final revision simply to correct a single letter typo on my back cover. I went through the revision process without altering anything, even kept the proofed PDF and just took out one simple letter on the back cover text, republished and ordered a proof copy. However this proof has a yellow colour to the back cover text as opposed to the orange colour I'd originally set. I haven't touched this during the revision process and have had previous proofs without the colour being different. Is this an error on the part of the printers and would someone be able to check this for me? To me, the colour looks a little bit 'washed' or slightly differing in tone throughout the text, suggesting printer's error.

Comments

• TheJesusNinjaTheJesusNinja Teacher Teacher

It's possible that it's printing. My proofs usually come out darker. Make sure to preview before you save the cover also something I do is open the link provided for the cover right after its published and double check it. Then you can always go back in case it's wrong

• marquesamarquesa Creator Creator

Cheers shadowmonkey. Actually, I showed this proof to some of my friends along with the original and they said they preferred the yellow. As long as there is no huge variation from one copy to another I'm going to let it go as I'm trying to get the Christmas custom. And I understand Amazon use their own printers, so hopefully they'll get it right when it finally appears there.

• I also find out that my proofs come out a bit darker. But I think also there can be variations because of what you see on your screen. I have two screens and I find the colours shown vary slightly when moved from one to the other.  The only real way to deal with this is to work with a book of Pantone swatches, and most of us can not afford to go through all that!

What I have found, is that I get more accurate colour reproduction with a one-piece cover by uploading the artwork as a JPEG, instead of a PDF. I don't know why this should be so.

• ChrisDevineChrisDevine Creator Creator

mikearobbins wrote:

What I have found, is that I get more accurate colour reproduction with a one-piece cover by uploading the artwork as a JPEG, instead of a PDF. I don't know why this should be so.

That method works well for me as well. I include a character from the book on the back cover and the background is a predominant colour of the character's clothing. I assemble the cover in PowerPoint (image, blurb, background etc) then save it back as a JPG. Works well for me and I have been happy with the results. See attached. As long as I have calculated the dimensions of the PPTX file correctly, I get the right pixel density for the JPG.

It should be said that I have no artistic atributes at all when it comes to creating images so PowerPoint is the perfect tool for me. It's just like building an Ikea table. Robot LOL

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius Lulu Genius

I only use jpgs, but even though I have my monitor set to exactly what they look like printed (but only on my own printer, which took some fiddling!) how they get printed by those who make the books can differ, and I bet it differs from company to company also, so even if we are eventually happy with our Proofs, some one in some far flung country who buys our books may be getting it from some other printing company, and we never see it.

I find it's often best to go a tad lighter that I really wish it to be, just in case, because if it's too dark the artwork can vanish in the shadows.

What I have noticed is that even though I use '64,000' 24 bit colour setting at at least 300dpi for my art, the printers only use 8 bit 256 colours. But I am the only one who would notice because I have the originals! As book covers they still look good.