When someone googles tag lines that bring up my book.

Hi everybody I'm new at this so please bear with me. My book has been published and can be purchased. I filled out a short form with Google that will provide 20% information on my work. It said my book will be come up via google in 4 to 8 weeks. The form didn't ask me anything about my work. Weeks ago my check in coordinator asked me to generate list of tag words/phrases that when entered would bring up my book. But the google form did'nt ask for any tags. I gave the check in coordinator at least 20.How does the google process work and what about all the tag lines I provided?  Thanks.

Comments

• Unfortunately the words, or phrases, that you enter into Lulu do not get fed

across to the distribution channels.

I'm never certain how people actually find our books in the distribution

partner bookstores. Serendipity, I suppose.

• Somehow you have to tell them they exist and where.

• As far as I know, Google doesn't need tags because its engine can search the whole book although Google only displays a 20% sample. If you enter a term or a phrase that is specific enough, their occurrences will be displayed separately with the pages where they are in your book. This system is extremely useful, and has often enabled me to find sources I had never heard of. As Google can direct you to online bookstores that carry the book, it is very easy for your potential readers to buy your work. And all this is free! Bravo Google.

• Thanks this helps.
  • Thanks this helps. Actually I meant this to be the accepted solution but I appreciate all the feedback.
  • Search engines are able to scan every single word that's on line, but hopefully usually only on sites. I doubt they can search inside even digital books (which all POD books are, not just e-books) because they are in a file folder and they are not normally searchable. But, Google has just been given the legal right to scan and store every single book on the planet, even printed books, regardless of copyright laws.

(There is actually and underground internet 'club' who have sites that cannot be found. So they claim.)

As to metatags. No matter which words one chooses, a million other people will have used the same metatags. So it only narrows search hits down to a few million. Smiley Very Happy I will try some examples. I write SF. Let's try just one word to do with SF in a search.

About 32,800,000 results  (for fairies, which are in one of my series.)

About 30,600,000 results (for space ships.)

About 474,000 results (for my full name, and most of the ones in those suggestions are not me, anyway.)

About 7 results (for the full title of one of my books. But some of those hits are for a spice that's within the name, and others are for some place that slags off book covers where I assume some troll has submitted mine to as a 'laugh'  Smiley Very Happy  actually, so few hits amazes me because that title is on sale all over the world on 1000s of sites. Strange.)

Basically, a person needs to know exactly what to search for in order to find exactly what they want. Potential buyers do not know my name and they don't know the title of my books, so doing something to tell people those details is far better than any metatags.

One interesting trick is to look up the trend in search words and use one of those as a metatag, but's that very naughty if you have nothing to do with that word.

http://techcrunch.com/2014/12/16/these-were-the-10-top-trending-searches-on-google-in-2014/

There are of course other search engines, 1000s in fact, I use Bing.

• "SF" is not narrow enough. "Numerals in SF" or "numerals+SF", for instance, would be more useful, etc.

• I'm not sure how any books get found either as none of the tags ever get sent. I've tried to Amazon to let me add some to my eb ooks but can't because it's sent through lulu. The paperbacks though can be added by starting an author central page and then contacting Amazon support. They are more than happy to add or change the words for you and have never complained about it. Probably not about your question but might help later.

• "SF" is not narrow enough. "Numerals in SF" or "numerals+SF", for instance, would be more useful, etc.

How, exactly would that help? But as you can see from my last post I did not search for the letters SF.