TOC problems

I have designated Heading 1 for Title Page (Times Roman 22) and Heading 2 for Chapter Headings (Times Roman 18).

When submitting my file I am getting

There do not appear to be any chapters in your table of contents. This suggests that you need to properly set chapter divisions in your document

What could I be doing wrong?

Comments

• I don't know, but I seem to recall reading that you should use no more than

Times 14 for Title and Times 12 for Chapter Headings.Try that and if you still

have a problem contact support.

• I use much larger font for my titles. I would suspect that using Heading 2 is causing the problem. Try Heading 1 on the chapter titles and see. I've never had any problems with that. I usually use heading 2 for subchapters.

• HULSEYHULSEY UK Publisher

I use 36 Rockwell for my title page, but when it actually formats into the e-book it reverts to small print. After publishing 22 novels with Lulu, you would think I had mastered it by now. Any suggestions?

• The text in ePubs on most reading devices is user adjustable. But I use an 18pnt font for the title and chapter headings, but in bold too. I tag those with Heading Style 1. The Bodytext (Normal) I set at 11pnt. Heading style 2 is for a sub-TOC withing HS1, and HS3 is for a sub-TOC in HS2 (then it has to be a HS1 again.)

Just in case anyone thinks otherwise, a Heading Style is not the same as a Header (or a Footer) so don't mistake one for the other.

• What program did you use to create your manuscript?

• Hulsey

I created a test ebook with the title in 36 point but when the word document converted the title was displayed in what looked like 12 or 14 point. Maggie might know the answer.

• I have no idea if there's an upper limit to what font size Lulu's ePub converter allows (I don't go above 18) but 36 pnt is very large even for a printed book's title page.  They are not covers.

Most e-reading devices try to show e-book fonts at their original size when opened and on something like a Smartphone just one letter too large could fill the entire screen. Font size can be reduced on the screens by the user but all fonts at once, not just bodytext, so to get a 36 pnt title to fit the screen the bodytext would be reduced to be unreadable.

Some title pages clone the cover text as an image, which can work.

I often wonder if a title page is really needed in an ePub because it's not as if the cover can be torn off, and that's the main traditional reason for title pages. The covers are often cut off returns.