2 surprising famous Romeo and Juliet scenes — it's not what you think

This was originally posted on my website classicspublishing.com Thumb Bitting as depictied in the 1996 version of Romeo and Juliet.

"Do you bite your thumb at us, sir?"

What other scene in Romeo and Juliet has its own Urban Dictionary page? Not many.

When I was in the 9th grade, we were all required to read Romeo and Juliet regardless of which track one was in regarding their English class. This scene was the most quoted scene and for a good reason: It is funny

Yes that's right. People love humor.

The reason for this is because a huge production is being made for the simple act of what is equivalent to flipping someone off.

This is not the only scene that people find funny. Romeo and Juliet is known for featuring a sex joke that many students will miss.

Nurse

... For even the day before, she broke her brow: And then my husband-God be with his soul! A' was a merry man-took up the child: 'Yea,' quoth he, 'dost thou fall upon thy face? Thou wilt fall backward when thou hast more wit; Wilt thou not, Jule?' and, by my holidame, The pretty wretch left crying and said 'Ay.' To see, now, how a jest shall come about! I warrant, an I should live a thousand years, I never should forget it: 'Wilt thou not, Jule?' quoth he; And, pretty fool, it stinted and said 'Ay.'

In this scene the Nurse is recalling a moment in which Juliet was younger. The nurse states that when Juliet is older she will fall backwards instead of forwards. To fall backwards means to have sex with someone. She finds this very funny.

You can buy Romeo and Juliet right here at classics publishing by clicking here.. This book is excellent for reading out loud because of its large size (6"x9") and large font, making it easy for you or your students (if you are a teacher) to read and act out this play.

Comments

• Romeo and Juliet has several sex puns, some subtle like "my I in your eye", probably more obvious in Shakespeare's time because Juliet's part was played by an actor.

• A male actor. All sexes are called actors now, for some odd reason. Because it's not sexist?

The OP is an interesting advert, but I already have the Works thanks.

I do have to wonder about the necessity of republishing classics, though, as if there are not enough published already.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=romeo+and+juliet+original&rh=n%3A266239%2Ck%3Aromeo+and+juliet+original

• kevinlomas a écrit :

A male actor. All sexes are called actors now, for some odd reason. Because it's not sexist?

I didn't know that. Yet, the term actress still exists.

• Many old terms still exist, but eventually fall in to disuse. (lLike the death of the word Fewer.) I do still say actress because calling a female an actor seems wrong.

• kevinlomas a écrit :

Many old terms still exist, but eventually fall in to disuse. (lLike the death of the word Fewer.) I do still say actress because calling a female an actor seems wrong.

To me "female actor" would be ridiculous and rather sound like bad English by a foreign speaker, something like "we come from the electric board" in the old radio series The Embassy in which Russian spies posed as Britons. . Smiley Very Happy

• But there was an Electric Board. It was in charge of the as then Nationalised National Grid.

• Pun left aside, wasn't it called the "Electricity Board"?

• In regards to weather one should use the term actor to describe a female, I have heard nothing of the sort. I have always used the term actress to describe a women, and the term actor to describe only a man. Nevertheless this is an interesting topic and I am interesting in seeing some Google Book based statistics to see if people are starting to use the term actor to describe an actress. It may be that I am just using the term in an old fashion matter.

As for why I am publishing classics despite so many other people publishing classics is because of the fact that I can offer value in comparison with other publishers. I already offer a high quality edition of Romeo and Juliet and I will offer more books soon. The difference my between my edition and other publishers is quality. I use a 12pt font and have plenty of white space making it easier to read especially when acting out the play. Also thick white paper is used instead of thin cream paper which enhances durability and makes the text stand out more, further enhancing readability. I have bought from other publishers of classics before and I was disappointed because the text was smaller and there was little formatting to conserve space. I do not compromise on quality to save a few pennies. The difference between my edition of classics and other publishers editions is quality.

• It depended on how much paint the signwriter had.

• In regards to weather

Whether   Smiley Happy

one should use the term actor to describe a female, I have heard nothing of the sort. I have always used the term actress to describe a women, and the term actor to describe only a man.

Well I use both terms also, but nonetheless they are all now called actors, and it can be seen all the time when they are being described or when talking about each other. You need to watch more TV.

Nevertheless this is an interesting topic and I am interesting in seeing some Google Book based statistics to see if people are starting to use the term actor to describe an actress.

What's Google Book got to do with the word Actor? But there are 160,000,000 hits using the words actor or actress? in a seach engine. Here's an example of just one >>   http://www.theguardian.com/theobserver/2011/sep/25/readers-editor-actor-or-actress

It may be that I am just using the term in an old fashion matter.

Indeed, the usage does not seem that old and many not in the 'trade' do still say actress or actor.

As for why I am publishing classics despite so many other people publishing classics is because of the fact that I can offer value in comparison with other publishers.

How? Many are not using POD but mass-printing.

I already offer a high quality edition of Romeo and Juliet and I will offer more books soon.

What exactly do you mean by high quality? The link I gave to examples displayed it in all manner of covers and formats already.

The difference my between my edition and other publishers is quality.

I am very sure that many of the massive publishing houses would argue that point. How about this >>   http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/romeo-and-juliet-shakespeare-william/1117229411#productInfoTabs

I use a 12pt font and have plenty of white space making it easier to read especially when acting out the play.

Too much white space actually makes text harder to read, and 12pnt is not an unusual size.

Also thick white paper is used instead of thin cream paper which enhances durability and makes the text stand out more, further enhancing readability.

You have looked at every single Romeo and Juliet book on the market then? Actually, pure white paper is harder on the eyes.

I have bought from other publishers of classics before and I was disappointed because the text was smaller and there was little formatting to conserve space.

But perhaps it's simply your choice to read a larger font? But 12pnt is not at all that much larger than is used in most books. (It depends on the font also, what size 12pnt actually is.)

I do not compromise on quality to save a few pennies. The difference between my edition of classics and other publishers editions is quality.

Will it be like the single edition All His Works leatherbound, goldleaf edged pages 100 year old one I own? With it's small but readable font?

I don't mean any offence but I really do not see the point, especially considering that it can be had as a free ePub etc., on 10,000s of sites, and I am surprised there are so many on Amazon still because they had a spate of removing all the 10,000s of books that had the same content.

• Actually, from what I have found, the current usage is "an actor" and "actors" do not refer to gender, and are used in general statements., e.g. actors are required to fill tex form number ..., while "actor" (male) and actress (female) are used in specific statement, e.g. So-and-so was a famous actor / actress in the 19th cetury.

• You need to watch more TV then