Purchasing

Hi group,

Newbie here trying to buy a book from Lulu.com however even after I entered my credit card info in the purchasing page, it will not proceed unless I also enter my home address, phone number and other personally identifiable information that is NOT required for a financial transaction - I don;t want to join Lulu, I just want to buy a book - How can I do this without exposing myself to potential identity theft this way? I have no idea what security algorithms lulu.com uses or how good their security is, however anything is hackable and nobody in this day and age should provide this level of personal detail to an online database unless its absolutely necessary.

Comments

• Newbie here trying to buy a book from Lulu.com however even after I entered my credit card info in the purchasing page, it will not proceed unless I also enter my home address,

Well, it does need to know where to deliver to.

phone number

And a contact number if there's a problem with the order.

and other personally identifiable information that is NOT required for a financial transaction - I don;t want to join Lulu, I just want to buy a book - How can I do this without exposing myself to potential identity theft this way? I have no idea what security algorithms lulu.com uses or how good their security is, however anything is hackable and nobody in this day and age should provide this level of personal detail to an online database unless its absolutely necessary.

Well, if everyone took that attitude the $trillions sold on line each year would never happen. Identity theft is not as common as people assume and why would anyone hack Lulu when they could hack your bank? Or even ring you pretending to be your bank?

If Lulu was not secure it would not have been trading since around 2002. If you are that worried then look to see if the book as an ISBN, and if it has it's possibly also on Amazon. Do you trust Amazon even though they ask for the same details just like most sites do?

• Kevin thanks for your response and the contained advertisement for your books.

To clarify; the purchase is for an ebook so delivery is not required - hence my question (I thought this would be assumed by readers)

To clarify further, the $trillions spent online that you speak of do not in the majority of cases require the levels of personal information requested here. I do not provide; nor am I requested to provide this depth of personal information on the many other ecommerce sites that I engage with.

It would appear your intent is to diminish rather than respond to my concerns although again I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

• I buy a lot of things on line, and have done for over 18 years, and all places expect you to open an account and give such details. I have not had mine stolen. But my wife once did before the WWW was even available.

• Thanks Kevin and I'm sure your experience is relevent to your personal circumstance.

I work in information systems security and have many hundreds of customers who have direct experience with online identity theft.

Perhaps other readers here may be able to answer my question.

Once again thanks for taking the time to respond.

• Just google the title and author online, if the author released their ebook through global reach you could purchase through one of those vendors that might not ask as many questions: ie barnes and nobles, ibookstore, amazon, kobu.  Good luck!

***Check out my books here***
    www.lulu.com/spotlight/sissarella

• Mudg a écrit :

To clarify; the purchase is for an ebook so delivery is not required - hence my question (I thought this would be assumed by readers)

You wrote "book" not "e-book" in your initial post, so everybody assumed you were talking about a printed book.

• I might be wrong, but isn't it fairly standard to be asked for a billing address when entering credit card info?

• We need your billing information to process the credit card. Our site uses Comodo and BBB Security to ensure your information is not compromised. I've never heard of anyone having their information compromised using our site.

For an eBook, you would need to create an account, as we provide access to the book through said account. This is beneficial, as it allows you to access the file again should you need to download the eBook again.

• I work in information systems security and have many hundreds of customers who have direct experience with online identity theft.

Perhaps that's why you see it as a danger? But it's like a car mechanic saying all cars are rubbish because he repairs some. But on the other hand, if you know about that, then you will know that Lulu is secure.

There are billions of people on line, not many hundreds.

I speak from watching the news and reading articles about security. Most identity theft is done to people who do not know how to stop trojans. How to set up their browsers to spot phishing (usually set by default.) To take notice of their banks (ans ISPs etc etc) when they say they will not ask for PINs via email, and that they do not ring people up asking for PINs etc.

People hack servers with massive databases, usually of well-known companies. One recent example is the ISP Talk Talk in the UK. (Late- AOL UK.) But the only way they could use what they gained to their advantage was to ring people up, then ask them to put their phone down to ring their bank as clarification, not knowing that if the phone is not put down at the other end, it's still connected.