Cover size for casewrap hardbound seems to have changed

In the past--at least 2-3 years ago--the cover size for a casewrap hardbound book seemed to require an extra quarter-inch on each side, in addition to the usual eighth-inch trim allowance (so the front cover and back cover, ignoring spine, for a 6x9" book would each be 6.38 x 9.75 inches)

Now, the requirement appears to be an extra three-quarters inch top and bottom, in addition to the usual eighth-inch trim margin: the front cover and back cover for a 6x9" book would each be 6.875 x 10.75 inches.

When did this change happen, and am I understanding it correctly? (Specifically, if my wife wants to replace the front and back cover, each with full-cover uploads, does she need to generate an extra 150 pixels of background color at the three outer edges--top, bottom, and non-spine edge? This time, it would actually be an 8.5x11" book, for which the pages are apparently printed slightly smaller, and I'm seeing 9.125x12.5 as the front and back size requirements.

[Actually, I can't quite make sense of the 9.125x12.5 requirement at all: how much of that should be regarded as bleed?]

Thanks for any help. We generate a fair number of titles, including a few with hardcover options. (And yes, I also miss the old one-click paper-to-hard conversion...)

Comments

• Just realized: I didn't actually make that a question.

The question is: How did cover size requirements for casewrap books change, and what do I need to do about it in terms of designing full front and back covers? Should I just pad the outside edges?

Thanks.

• This is odd behavior. I've been able to reproduce it in one of our test accounts and we're going to see if we can determine what's happening with this. 

I'm going to create a support case for you with the email you used for this forum account. I'll send you an update when I know more.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

• I use the metric sytem. I didn't notice any problem with the hard-bound proof copy of my Yeats and Noh that I received last week. The front cover picture i used was the one created for the first test copy several months ago.

• Thanks (I forgot to check the "email me when someone replies" and have been lurking here).

It's been offering the same much-larger cover dimensions for the last couple of weeks, but certainly wasn't a year or two ago. It does seem like a lot of overage.

(The next book won't be ready for a week or two at best, but I thought I'd look into this now.)

A slightly related question: Am I correct in assuming that an 8.5x11 PDF is acceptable for a hardbound book, even though the actual printed page size is 8.25x10.75"? (That is: Do I need to create a new Word document and resulting PDF/A with narrower margins and smaller page, or does Lulu just print with smaller margins?) I know that in the past I've always submitted the same PDF for both--and for the book being worked on, we'll want to use paperback for proofing copies--there's a third party involved--before moving to casewrap for the final book.

• Paul_Lulu wrote:

This is odd behavior. I've been able to reproduce it in one of our test accounts and we're going to see if we can determine what's happening with this. 

I'm going to create a support case for you with the email you used for this forum account. I'll send you an update when I know more.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Could you please look into the blurry text that make up my blurb/description on the back cover of, "The Mighty Companion"? Author, "Kurt Burnum" as well?

• Bolter1224 wrote:

Could you please look into the blurry text that make up my blurb/description on the back cover of, "The Mighty Companion"? Author, "Kurt Burnum" as well?

You should create a support case for that issue and send us a digital picture of the cover so we can take a look at it.

• -K- Thanks.

• Also having this problem of a very large bleed requirement and haven't seen the solution posted yet...

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

Also having this problem of a very large bleed requirement and haven't seen the solution posted yet...

Because that's not what this thread it about?

Try here >>  http://connect.lulu.com/t5/Interior-Formatting/How-do-I-make-my-content-stretch-all-the-way-to-the-edge-of-the/ta-p/33675