We're aware of an issue with converting some DOC, DOCX, ODT, and RTF files to EPUB through our Ebook Wizard.
We've created this Forum Thread with some workarounds and advice to assist you in publishing you ebook.

Indesign spread to single pages with bleed

Hello, sorry if this is an age old question but I can't quite find the answer I'm looking for. I have a layout with images that spread across the double page, some images don't. I need to export to single pages with bleed. I am unsure of how the bleed will work with the images that cover the spread. I've positioned them so that no great detail is in the gutter but a white bleed seems to appear, or a slip of the image appears on the other page. I also wouldn't want a potential white mark down the side of any images on the single page. I've tried to create single pages within indesign, before exporting, but the images on double pages no longer spreadacross. 

Screen Shot 2015-08-13 at 21.28.13.png

Screen Shot 2015-08-13 at 21.28.25.png

Would someone be able to talk me though the double page to single page with bleed process? I would be so grateful! 

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

http://connect.lulu.com/t5/Interior-Formatting/How-do-I-make-my-content-stretch-all-the-way-to-the-edge-of-the/ta-p/33675

What may over-complicate it though, is the Wizard now adds 'Padding' to the pages to allow for bleed when trimming, at least it does with PDFs.

• No need to worry about what Kevin pointed out.

That padding has always been added by printers before printing.

Well, my previous point was, does it increase page size, thusly moving the margins out and upsetting the text/page layout? And if they have always done it why's there only a 'warning' about it now?

But it's not something I have noticed because the books are almost always slightly undersized once trimmed, that's why I started to use wider margins to allow for it, so what padding is added?

• If you think about the process, books are always trimmed. If you print a 6x9 book in exactly those dimensions, there is nothing to trim. Therefore, padding is added. As I have mentioned in several other posts, this padding was previously added by the printer when they processed the file for production. Now it is added during the print-ready file conversion process before it is sent to the printer.

It's the same process, only the order has changed.

And, there is no longer any messaging associated with this padding.

If you think about the process, books are always trimmed.

Indeed they are, although with modern printing machines it should be so precise that every page is 100% already lined up.

If you print a 6x9 book in exactly those dimensions, there is nothing to trim.

Yes, true, but they do not print on the exact page size. More often than not multiple pages are printed on one large sheet, sliced to size and collated in the correct order, that's usually why we have to have our page count divisible by four. If the sheets are not lined up when going in and coming out because the guides are not maintained correctly then it's possible for margin settings to end up all over the place, and bleed and full bleed to be out.I have seen it.

Therefore, padding is added. As I have mentioned in several other posts, this padding was previously added by the printer when they processed the file for production.

Remarkable when there should be no need for it. Slice an A4 exactly in half and you get two A5s. A3 you get two A4s.

Now it is added during the print-ready file conversion process before it is sent to the printer.

But do they not all still add padding to the padding then?

It's the same process, only the order has changed.

And, there is no longer any messaging associated with this padding.

Cool! But I am still wondering if it litterally increases page size meaning that when trimmed and printed the margins are no longer where they should be on the page? A 0.50" margin ending up as a 0.45" when trimmed, for example?

BTW. I searched for Padding to do with printing and it just kept coming up with bleed and full bleed.

• This is the closest post I can find that relates to my problem (and I don't know how to start a new thread), so I hope someone can help, even though the discussion is a few months old.

I have been doing books using InDesign for a few years. Until now, I get them printed at Blurb.com, but I would really like to try Lulu. I am having a heck of a time figuring out how to prepare my PDF files for Lulu. Can anyone familiar with both InDesign and Lulu.com help, please!

1. I want a 8.25x10.75 hard cover book. I set my page document at W: 8.25, H: 10.75, with top, bottom and outside (but not inside)  bleed of .125in. When exported as a PDF, it produces a PDF file which has properties of 8.38 x 11.00. In  other words, the PDF file is the finished size, plus the bleed allowances for a two-page spread (top, bottom and outisde), which would seem correct? However, after I upload to Lulu, I get an error message saying the file have been adjusted to match the correct size! Why is that?? And do I need to worry aobut it?

2. When I view my PDF file before I export it to Lulu, I can view it as a double spread. The first page is a single right hand page, and the last page is a single left hand page, and everything in between is double. When the PDF proof comes back from the Lulu site, it shows everything as single page, and there is a slight white area (for trimming, I assume) on all four edges of the page. How does it all get assembled? Will it print my first page on the right hand side as it should be? And what will happen to the images that are meant to go across both pages, i.e. double spread page? 

Hope someone can help, as I'm getting quite frustrated!

This is the closest post I can find that relates to my problem (and I don't know how to start a new thread), so I hope someone can help, even though the discussion is a few months old.

Hello. You use New Message once you have clicked on a Forum section from the main Forum page.

I have been doing books using InDesign for a few years. Until now, I get them printed at Blurb.com,

I thought Blurb had its own dedicated downloadable book creation tool? I downloaded it once but discovered it will only upload to Blurb.

but I would really like to try Lulu. I am having a heck of a time figuring out how to prepare my PDF files for Lulu. Can anyone familiar with both InDesign and Lulu.com help, please!

I use Word, so I cannot help with inDesign, but some here use it. I am surprised they have not replied.

1. I want a 8.25x10.75 hard cover book. I set my page document at W: 8.25, H: 10.75, with top, bottom and outside (but not inside)  bleed of .125in.

Can I ask why you are only using outer page edges with bleed?

When exported as a PDF, it produces a PDF file which has properties of 8.38 x 11.00. In  other words, the PDF file is the finished size, plus the bleed allowances for a two-page spread (top, bottom and outisde), which would seem correct?

I assume you are creating a succession of pages? Because Lulu's Wizards cannot handle actual two page spreads.

However, after I upload to Lulu, I get an error message saying the file have been adjusted to match the correct size! Why is that?? And do I need to worry aobut it?

Hrmm, yes that is odd. The warning appeared a few months ago and is apparently the Wizard adding 'padding' for trimming. After a complaint or two Lulu removed to warning, but I think it still does auto-add 'padding.'

2. When I view my PDF file before I export it to Lulu, I can view it as a double spread. The first page is a single right hand page, and the last page is a single left hand page, and everything in between is double. When the PDF proof comes back from the Lulu site, it shows everything as single page, and there is a slight white area (for trimming, I assume) on all four edges of the page.

Indeed. The Wizard creates a Print Ready PDF and every page is separate (as if the book had been cut up.) But that's not really a proof. A Proof is the printed book you buy to check it over, and is the only real way to see if your layout worked. If not you adjust the original files and upload them via Revise, deleting the previous files.

How does it all get assembled? Will it print my first page on the right hand side as it should be? And what will happen to the images that are meant to go across both pages, i.e. double spread page?

It will print is as a book :smileyhappy: following the literal page numbers.

Hope someone can help, as I'm getting quite frustrated!

The proof is in the printed Proof.