We're aware of an issue with converting some DOC, DOCX, ODT, and RTF files to EPUB through our Ebook Wizard.
We've created this Forum Thread with some workarounds and advice to assist you in publishing you ebook.

Editing printed book

Hello

I've just received one copy of my printed book and must admit it looks quite impressive. However I need to make some adjustments in terms of content (small mistakes in paragraph settings, pagination and clarity of photograph etc). But I don't need to change the cover which is great.

Can I make these adjustments without starting all over again?

Cheers

Comments

• potetjppotetjp Bibliophile
    Correct the file on your computer. Start a revision in your Lulu projects, delete the current file on Lulu and upload your new PDF file.
  • Thank you very much Jean-Paul for replying so swiftly.

I'll go and work on it presently. Smiley Happy

You are wecome.
  • Bonjour Jean-Paul

I have finished the revision and am ready to get the book printed. However, I've had difficulty with the pagination. At the moment pages are not numbered but I can't find a way of including pagination where the text begins (ie page 7) till the end of text and not including the white ones at the end.

Any tips about including the pagination at this stage?

Cheers

Martine

• What I have done in the past is to make two files. The first file contains the front matter -- title page, copyright page, acknowledgements, and all that.

The second file has the text of the story. 

Or, you can use the sections feature in Word to make two "sections," and have page numbering start from the beginning of the second section.

• Thank you for your response.

I have tried to do as you say and have checked on google and office support but cannot set it up properly, so I've given up.

Not to worry at this stage. I shall follow your instructions of the two files for subsequent projects.

Cheers

My word processor is WordPerfect. Pages are automatically counted from the very beginning. The display of the numbers in the file can be started and stopped wherever I want - format > page > numbering.
    Whatever your word processor, it should have the same facility, or a similar one.
  • Word has to make it overly complicated.

It forces you to make two "sections."

• I'm using word on a mac - takes too long. No worries!
  • You are right. Will try and work on this for my next book. No problem. cheers
  • Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

There's only need for three New Sections in Word really. Front Matter; Story Text: End Matter (even if just empty pages.)

It does not take long to set those up, seconds. What does take the time is making Headers and Footers behave. Download Lulu's Word Templates to look how it's done in those.

http://www.lulu.com/create/books

• Thank you for your reply.

I started with the Lulu template but after making revisions it became more and more difficult to get the pagination right. For instance, it would mark an even number on a page that should have an odd one.

My project is quite small and has now been sent to be printed, so perhaps after this one I'll try and stick to the template as closely as I can and will come back to the forum if I still have problems.

Grateful for your input as I am to all who have contributed.

Cheers

• It sounds as if you are using the style guide as your template rather than the template file.

If so, you are seeing odd number pages due to the use of section breaks that force the next page to be an odd numbered page. Unfortunately, Microsoft, in their infinite wisdom chose not to display the blank page when this type of section break is used.

You can confirm this by clicking on the Pilcrow symbol in the toolbar to display the formatting symbols.

• Very useful!

Thank you very much.

Cheers Smiley Happy

• Could I possibly ask you another question?

I have just received my latest proof copy and I'm thrilled by its looks and professional binding.

However, my text ends on page 79, leaving the back of the page at 80, then there are additional 4 blank pages, making the whole book 88 pages. My pdf showed 80 pages plus two blank pages (making 84 pages). Does Lulu automatically add another couple of pages? should I have stopped my pdf at the end of the 80 pages and Lulu would have added whatever was necessary?

I don't think I will revise the book again as it is perfect for my needs, but wonder about future projects?

Cheers

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

usually the pages in the original document have to be divisible by four, and if they are not, the printer adds some. If it's a hard-backed book then extra pages are often also added to aid with the binding. Some distributors also insist on those extra blank pages.

But it's best if you allow for that yourself when formatting your document.

• Again, thank you very much for this.

I'm so impressed by Lulu.com and its forum.

Cheers, Smiley Very Happy