Getting hard copy proofs of an e-book?

Apologies in advance if this has already been asked, was posted in an incorrect discussion area, or is somehow public knowledge which I missed out on.

Due to a prohibitively small budget and the extreme length of my book-to-be, distributing a print version won't be an option for me until my digital sales hit a certain level. However, it won't feel like a book to me unless I can hold a paper version in my hands, and it would be nice to have a few copies to give to friends. Is it possible to order a very small quantity of print books (as proofs or otherwise) for an e-book? The issue here is really about mixed formats, not quantity. I don't expect loopholes or freebie copies, I just wanted to know if it's possible at all to get a few print copies without gumming up the e-book process or committing to future print batch orders. 

Comments

• oncewasoncewas Librarian

You will need to start a new print project and make it private as you don't need an ISBN and then you can order 1 copy. However, it isn't possible to print out the ebook; you will have to format your manuscript as a print book.

• Thank you sir! I knew there must have been a way to do it.

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

Apologies in advance if this has already been asked, was posted in an incorrect discussion area, or is somehow public knowledge which I missed out on.

Due to a prohibitively small budget and the extreme length of my book-to-be, distributing a print version won't be an option for me until my digital sales hit a certain level. However, it won't feel like a book to me unless I can hold a paper version in my hands, and it would be nice to have a few copies to give to friends. Is it possible to order a very small quantity of print books (as proofs or otherwise) for an e-book? The issue here is really about mixed formats, not quantity. I don't expect loopholes or freebie copies, I just wanted to know if it's possible at all to get a few print copies without gumming up the e-book process or committing to future print batch orders.

Dan is correct, you will have to create a New Project for a printbook, but note that the page set-up for a printbook is nothing like that for an epub. Take a look inside any book to see what I mean.

But, a Proof of a printbook is possibly not as expensive as you think? (Unless it's hardbacked full-colour and the Proof being the first book you buy to see if it was set up OK.) Use the Calculator to work out the cost. Also you do not have to buy stock to sell. You can sell off Lulu's pages or you can get a free ISBN and sell from places like Amazon, and the buyer carries the cost and you get paid your share.

http://www.lulu.com/create/books