Formatting a kids book

Hello, 

I am self publishing a childrens book and need to know how i can format using 6 by 9. i downloaded the template but having a hard time trying to fit the illustrations in the page. 

Questions:

How do you fit the illustrations in the page?

Is there a template or page that has bleeds where you can place the illustraion in; to fit perfectly?

Comments

• My thoughts on that...

If you're using the word template, the first thing is to create a text box where you want the image to go, and then put the image inside the text box. Otherwise, the image will try to adjust itself as per the margins / orphan control settings, etc.

Once you've done that, you can adjust the size of the image by grabbing a corner and dragging to the size you want. Be sure you're resizing the image, not the text box.

You can make the text box stay on a certain page by putting page breaks before and after it.

Those are my suggestions...

• Em_PressEm_Press Professor

Hi KB7,

I discourage text boxes. That way you can eventually easily convert your print file to ebook with minor adjustments.

Take a regular Word file (throw the template out). Add a quarter of an inch to the width and height for full bleed. Size your images the same way. Use page breaks before and after image. Or section breaks if you would like the following page to be different from the previous in terms of page numbering. Insert each image.

It's pretty easy. Come back if you get stuck.

A citizen of the world.

• potetjppotetjp Professor
    With WordPerfect, I can anchor a picture to a word, a paragraph or a page, then decide its exact position and dimensions. Can't you do that with MS-Word?
  • Thank you 

I am going to try it out now.

Maggie wrote:

Hi KB7,

I discourage text boxes. That way you can eventually easily convert your print file to ebook with minor adjustments.

Take a regular Word file (throw the template out). Add a quarter of an inch to the width and height for full bleed. Size your images the same way. Use page breaks before and after image. Or section breaks if you would like the following page to be different from the previous in terms of page numbering. Insert each image.

Maggie wrote:

Hi KB7,

• Thank you

I am going to test it out and see if it is easier to do it this way.