problems with bleed

Is it just me? I have never had a problem with bleed with any of my manuscripts and I've been with Lulu a long time. Suddenly when I upload my manuscript I'm getting the error message that I have bleed. So I readjusted by margins to compensate (1" left and right and top and bottom) which should work but I'm still getting the message. This is frustrating for me as I have not had this problem before and I'm using the same manuscript I always do.

Comments

• HULSEYHULSEY UK Publisher

Happened to me too, even though I've had no problems with my other twenty-two novels. Lulu actually adjusted the bleed for me on this occasion, so no sweat. Maybe it's a new procedure. 

• This other thread may be helpful.

I believe it's the same issue:

http://connect.lulu.com/t5/Print-Books/Full-Bleed-alert/m-p/330713#M23576

• The addition of bleed to all print-ready files was something that previously occurred when the printer received the file. There has to be some padding added to a 6x9 file to compensate for the final trimming of the book during printing and binding. Now, all files are analyzed and corrected during the creation of the print-ready file - before they are sent to the printer.

When we were working on the PDF Normalization release, we decided to err on the side of providing more information to authors about what was happening with their print-ready files. In hindsight, we see that this causes some confusion for authors who read the instructions and messaging on the site. Now that we have feedback from users, we will be updating both the messaging and the conversion experience to clarify what is happening during the conversion process.