Is Garamond with a font size of 11 too small?

Hello,

Recently, I published a new 306 page novel. The size of the book is 6x9in (or more precisely, 6.25x9.25in, due to bleed). For most of the text, the body paragraph font was Garamond 11. 

Upon publishing, something has been bothering me: is Garamond with a font size of 11 too small? Should I increase it to 12, or should use a different font?

Any suggestions will be appreciated...

-TWM

Comments

• Garamond 11 should be fine. You can bump it to Garamond 12 or even 14 -- 14 would qualify as a "Large Print edition" -- but IMHO Gaamond 11 should be right on the money.

• Em_PressEm_Press Professor

Garamond 11 will be tiny. Use 12 minimum for this font.

Minimum for large print is 16 point.

A citizen of the world.

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

Yes, I use Garamond 12pnt. It makes for a nice easy read I would say.

• DysonLogosDysonLogos Bibliophile
    It really depends on the book and purpose. I have several books at 11pt and have had no issues and the only complaints I heard about the font choice was from a few publishers on Lulu, not one from any customers or professionals in my field.

Not really. I own paperback novels that for some reason have fonts so small it makes them hard to read. 12pnt suits most readers.

Fonts are not all the same size anyway. 11.5 TNR is around the same size as 12 Garamond.

• A lot depends on your target audience.  How old are your readers?  Some books push the reader demographic to the younger side of the range, and some the older.  If older people might be reading your material, then I'd definitely go with a *slightly* bigger font, but not so big that it turns the younger readers off.  I like to use DejaVu 10 or 10.5, which translates roughly to 12, compared to most other fonts.   Thus, I catch the whole range of readers.

rleesbsd wrote:

A lot depends on your target audience.  How old are your readers?  Some books push the reader demographic to the younger side of the range, and some the older.  If older people might be reading your material, then I'd definitely go with a *slightly* bigger font, but not so big that it turns the younger readers off.  I like to use DejaVu 10 or 10.5, which translates roughly to 12, compared to most other fonts.   Thus, I catch the whole range of readers.

I am one of those older readers, but I wear reading glasses, who does not who needs them?

Granted for those just learning to read, a very large font is used, but there's rarely many words on each page, often just one.  But once they can read little allowance is made from them. As a rough estimate once past the age of 8 a kid should be able to read a 'normal' sized font.

I have just had a look through many books and a 'normal' font size does seem to be 11 - 12. To be honest if a story is good enough to capture the attention one will put up with a font that's too small. I have just read a long novel that had around size 9 TNR!

I don't know why you use DejaVu because it looks like TNR.

• I used Garamond 12 for my first book but then dropped it to 11 for book 2 to make the spines similar sizes and to keep print costs similar. I would not want to go any lower than that though.

That's an unusual reason.