Not eligible for distribution question.

If yoiu choose a size that says not elligible for distribution, does this mean that you can only get prints for yourself, or can you still publish it for sale pod in Lulu, (I understand that they won't distribute it elsewhere if it's one of those sizes, I just can't work out f it means they won't sell it all even on their website.)

Next question is WHY are those sizes not suitable for distribution? The digest size appears to be the standard paperback size that you see in shops here in the UK.

(Having said that I'm going by dimensions only. 2 weeks on from it being despatched I am still waiting for my print to arrive so I haven't yet seen a digest sized book from here.)

Comments

• Em_PressEm_Press Professor

Yes, the book will sold on Lulu if it is set to General rather than Private or Direct Access.

Perhaps it's your paper colour, or binding or the type of printing: Premium or standard. Play around with the options. Your book may be eligible for distribution.

A citizen of the world.

• Yes, any book or calendar created using the Lulu book builder can be sold in the Lulu bookstore.

The reason some of the sizes offered are not eligible for distribution is that books created on Lulu are print-on-demand books. They are printed when ordered by multiple printers - not just the Lulu printers. Therefore, only the most common book sizes that can be printed by all print-on-demand facilities qualify for distribution. 

• Thanks for the quick reply, at least I know I can use that size if I want to. Smiley Happy

The thing about the most common book sizes was why I was puzzled.

The dimensions given for digest size ARE the most common paperback size in the UK. The smallest paperback size that LULU seeems to offer for distribution would be considered an unusually large size for a paperback here. You do see a few softbacks that large in bookshops but the smaller size is the standard. (I've never taken a rule into a bookshop but I ordered a proofprint at the smallest 'for retail' paperback size and it is the same size as what I would call a standard hardback. Looks nice though. I'm having great fun scribbling all over it as I edit.

Smiley Very Happy

The larger ones don't really fit all that well on bookshelves. Digest size fits nicely. Are books generally larger in the States? (An old joke about a Texan, Australia, mice and kangaroos suddenly comes to mind.)

Regards

PJ

• I'm not that familiar with book sizes in the UK. Perhaps one of our community members with more knowledge can provlde more information.

In the US, bookshops tend to carry the 6x9 size paperbacks in addition to the smaller sizes, while drug stores and grocery stores generally stock the smaller size books.

• Yes, bookshops sell the larger ones too, but mostly the smaller. It's not really important: I was just curious. I never liked the larger size because they take up too much space on the shelf.

• potetjppotetjp Professor

I have the impression  the smaller paperbacks are to be thrown away once read, like newspapers,  while the larger ones are for keeps. POD books being more expensive than cheap industrial books, turning them small might make them look too expensive - barring concomitant technical problems.

• .Throw away books?????

GASP!!

Wash your mouth out with soap!!!!!

I still have paperbacks that I bought from my pocket money when I was 8 or 9 years old! (The Arthur Ransome Swallows and Amazon books. 50p at early 70s prices. I was most upset when they went up to 60p because I had to save longer.)

They're a little yellowed and rather tatty around the edges but still readable.

I never saw the larger size paperback at all until the 90s. All paperbacks were what Lulu calls digest back then, and you certainly did NOT buy them with the idea of throwing them away once read.

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

The thing about the most common book sizes was why I was puzzled.

The dimensions given for digest size ARE the most common paperback size in the UK.

I live in the UK and paperbacks come in all manner of sizes, it would be hard to say which one is the commonest. 7" x 4.5" and A5 do seem to be popular though.

The smallest paperback size that LULU seeems to offer for distribution would be considered an unusually large size for a paperback here.

That is not true. Lulu's smallest is Pocketbook which is only 7" x 4.25" so hardly large. I have bought paperbacks in the UK above A4, and that is large.

You do see a few softbacks that large in bookshops but the smaller size is the standard. (I've never taken a rule into a bookshop but I ordered a proofprint at the smallest 'for retail' paperback size and it is the same size as what I would call a standard hardback. Looks nice though. I'm having great fun scribbling all over it as I edit.

I would be hard pressed to say what is standard on any UK shop's bookshelf. What is often standard in book manufacture are the old Imperial paper sizes still used. A5, A4, A3, A0 and so on.

Smiley Very Happy

The larger ones don't really fit all that well on bookshelves. Digest size fits nicely. Are books generally larger in the States? (An old joke about a Texan, Australia, mice and kangaroos suddenly comes to mind.)

Are you sure you are converting from metric correctly?

Anyway. Go average. Use A5. I think the Value range are only printed in the USA anyway, plus, you get what you pay for ... Smiley Happy

potetjp wrote:

I have the impression  the smaller paperbacks are to be thrown away once read, like newspapers,  while the larger ones are for keeps. POD books being more expensive than cheap industrial books, turning them small might make them look too expensive - barring concomitant technical problems.

I doubt they are published with that intention, or possibly bought with it, they are just a handy size for carrying around. If they are read then given away to charity shops (I would hope!) then that's due to the content not the size. Most of the books I buy I keep and often read them many times over the years. But I don't buy - "buy and read some of it while waiting for a train, and often leave it on the bench when the train arrives" 'pulp'.  Smiley Happy

I am not sure about your theory that smaller POD books look more expensive than larger POD books. It's all a cost ratio. But I am sure that an A5 POD book page for page costs less to make than a Pocketbook one. Perhaps they POD more A5s allowing them to charge a lesser cost price?

• Well that's unfortunate.

I never saw the larger size paperback at all until the 90s. All paperbacks were what Lulu calls digest back then, and you certainly did NOT buy them with the idea of throwing them away once read.

Which book shops did you go in? I have books of all sizes, some at least 100 years old. But indeed. Who chucks books out?!! 

My father was actually a writer and, I assume, because of that he brought me up to respect books and treat them with great care, but then again he did own some expensive and rare books. One was an A0 sized full-colour hardback one which only 100 had been made. Some American society had given him that in thanks for some research he'd done for them. I have no idea what eventually happened to that book.

theunconquerablewiseman wrote:

Well that's unfortunate.

Just a young man exploring life. I am a believer in lifelong learning. Peace.

Huh?

•  All book shops available. The local bookshop on the high street mostly, Occasionally got a chance to go to places on Oxford Street. Never ever saw any fiction sold in any format other than small paperback or large hardback. 6x9 is hardback size.

It's moot anyway. Seems like there's no point publishing POD in Lulu as it's impossible to actually get the print delivered to your door unless you choose fedex.

Four orders, out of which 1 arrived with no issue. Their customer support contradicts itself. First they say wait 14 days, now they say wait 28 days. The website info says 4-7 days for mail in the UK.

This is obviously what 'not for retail distribution' means:- they never flipping deliver it!

~The romans could deliver letters faster!

Archaeologist wrote:

All book shops available. The local bookshop on the high street mostly, Occasionally got a chance to go to places on Oxford Street. Never ever saw any fiction sold in any format other than small paperback or large hardback. 6x9 is hardback size.

Nope, sorry, you are wrong on all counts.

It's moot anyway. Seems like there's no point publishing POD in Lulu as it's impossible to actually get the print delivered to your door unless you choose fedex.

Lulu have as much control over it as we do because it's the printers who ship them and Lulu do not own the printers. But as I say, it depends which book type and size you have created because some are not printed in Europe.

Four orders, out of which 1 arrived with no issue. Their customer support contradicts itself. First they say wait 14 days, now they say wait 28 days.

That's standard UK Mail-order trading laws they are just mentioning there, ones I pointed out to Lulu ages ago. Many UK mail-order companies used to say "allow 21 days" as a buffer, and the OFT used to say do not panic until 28 days have passed. Smiley Happy But 14 days seems normal to me so I am happy with that. Some companies have spoiled us with same or next day deliveries, but they are vast enough to have great clout with the couriers.

The website info says 4-7 days for mail in the UK.

Yup, I have often mentioned that because it's a bit deceptive. I think that is the time after the book has been printed and it also does not account for printers shutting down for the weekends.

This is obviously what 'not for retail distribution' means:- they never flipping deliver it!

To be honest I expect something to arrive when it arrives. I don't sit under the letterbox.

~The romans could deliver letters faster!

I doubt it and often the messenger got robbed.

• Archaeologist wrote:

All book shops available. The local bookshop on the high street mostly, Occasionally got a chance to go to places on Oxford Street. Never ever saw any fiction sold in any format other than small paperback or large hardback. 6x9 is hardback size.

Nope, right on all counts. Strangely, I know which bookshops I went in and what size books they sold. Supermarkets and drugstores hadn't reached our corner of England back then and they don't sell much fantasy anyway.
    I'm sat here surrounded by about 3000 books, c9/10s are paperbacks. The hardbacks are all different sizes but all  6x9 at least. The paperbacks are all what you call digest size except for about 5 which are in with the hardbacks because there is nowhere else they'll fit.
    With very few exceptions, the paperbacks were bought from a bookshop.

As for delivery, if they gave an honest estimate AT THE START I wouldn't be grumpy. If they said at the outset, it'll be up to a month, I'd have known how long to wait, but it says 1 week.

If they let you know which country it's coming from when you get the 'it's been despatched' email, you'd have some way of guessing how long.

They may not be able to control the delivery, but they can control if they give honest estimates on their site, and they should be able to make sure that  their customer support doesn't contradict itself on each successive email. These are things that are well within their control and should be basic policy.

• potetjppotetjp Professor

Archeologist, have you received an e-mail from Lulu announcing your parcel was shipped on such and such day? If so, have you clicked on the link provided to check where your parcel was? If so, what did it say?

Archaeologist wrote:

Archaeologist wrote:

Nope, right on all counts. Strangely, I know which bookshops I went in and what size books they sold. Supermarkets and drugstores hadn't reached our corner of England back then and they don't sell much fantasy anyway.
    I'm sat here surrounded by about 3000 books, c9/10s are paperbacks. The hardbacks are all different sizes but all  6x9 at least. The paperbacks are all what you call digest size except for about 5 which are in with the hardbacks because there is nowhere else they'll fit.
    With very few exceptions, the paperbacks were bought from a bookshop.

Perhaps that is just the size you buy?  Smiley Happy I too am surrounded by many many books of many ages and of many shapes sizes and binding, and not only that, fantasy is far from new and most bookshops sell it and always have.

Nevermind, I still say go A5.