Before completing your order, please take a moment to review information about potential delivery delays.

Due to closures, travel restrictions, and prioritization of vital services, some parcel deliveries may experience delays. Please check with your carrier of choice to verify your location can receive deliveries. In some instances, some deliveries may no longer be possible.
Read More.

Problem with Lulu's templates

Hi, I have several projects in progress at the moment. I'm working in Word and have been reformatting a copy of the file to match the dimensions listed for the various print sizes to see how it affects page size etc. SO far, the proof prints look ok. I'n now waiting for a proof print of the smallest cheapest paperback size (with fonts at 10 point) to see how that looks.

Now to my question -

I had read that the best way to format was to simply download a Lulu template for the required size and copy paste your text into it. However, when I did that and scrolled through it in Word I found that the margins seemed to be different on every page. I have no idea what causes thator how to avoid it or fix it. In my word document there's no problem. I haven't misused spaces or anything like that and all my word pages have margins and indents the same across the (large) document.

Can anyone shed any light on this behaviour? If my proof prints look ok straight from Word should I just continue resizing it myself at need for each format?

The emailed print ready link did say that they had resized it slightly for the 'trim size' but a quick look through didn't reveal anything obvious. I await the actual print with eagerness but that'll take several weeks.

Comments

• Em_PressEm_Press Professor

There's probably a gutter. That is why the margins look different on each page.

A template is not the best way to go. It's much better if you format your book the way you would like it to look while respecting distribution requirements.

A citizen of the world.

• I'll see if I can find out whether gutters are set in my document (maybe it's some kind of default). I'm still not wildly familiar with Word 2013. I can't even get it to stop tracking changes permanently.

As for distribution requirements. I have no idea beyond page size what they are. Most of it is Greek to me so it's going to be trial and error all the way. I've done 3 proof prints (1 each per volume) in different sizes and font point, to see how they look. Now finding all the mistakes that 10 read-throughs and several friends failed to spot (it does make a difference reading it in print version instead of pdf or Word.)

Hopefully by the time I reach volume 7 I'll know what I'm doing, lol.

Thanks for replying.

• The blank template does indeed include a gutter. Hence the reason odd and even pages look a little of kilter when you scroll through them.

To turn off track changes, go to the Review toolbar and move the Track button to Off.

Hope that helps.

• Oh I see! - to compensate for losing part of the page to the binding and it's a different side on odd and even pages.
    Duh!! ~ Smacks head. Yes, I should have realised that. When I do figures in Word for work reports, I have to make them slightly off centre to compensate for binding but the figures are single sided so I never considered the problems of a double-sided bound document. Thank you. That makes sense.

Turning track changes off doesn't seem to work. No matter what I do, when I start the document next time, I have red lines appearing where I have altered things. It seems to just come back on.

• Thanks Maggie, but my eyes glaze over when I reach the word metadata. It all turns to gibberish after that. bleed areas? Bar codes? How can you add the isbn to the file if you don't get it until after you've uploaded the project? How can you have a bar code? Where do you get one and what's it for? That entire page is not the most helpful I've ever seen. It assumes that you already know what it's telling you.

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

Templates are often only of use to people who know how the software works that they are using it in. It's rare that one does not have to fiddle with a template's defaults and troublesome if one does not know how to. I always suggest that people should learn their basic tool before they start adding things to them.   Smiley Happy

•  Kevin, that's a bit like me telling someone they shouldn't dig holes on a dig until they learn to recognise an alluvial deposit from ancient cess, or a badger burrow from a ditch, or a tree throw from a storage pit, and then walking away without offering some guidance on the subtle differences in the feel of the substances, or why badger burrows and ditches can be hard to tell apart with, or how to recognise a tree throw.

My understanding of the templates from what Lulu writes about them is that they are supposed to be for people who don't know what the formatting instructions mean. My understanding of forums is that they are a place to ask questions when you don't know how to do something, and then helpful people (like the previous replies) give you some guidance and get you started. They are, in fact, part of the process of learning.

Telling people to just go away and learn it is not helpful.

I've been using Word for 19 years. Then they went and changed it completely and removed half the functionality I use on a daily basis and hid the rest. We still haven't updated all workstations where I work, and the language as people discover that it no longer does what it used to do makes me dread my turn. I have 2007, 2010, and 2013 at home, and they are all equally difficult to get into. I gave up working at home because the program was impenetrable. Apparently you regain some function if you save as .doc instead of docx.

I can do things with drawing objects in word 2003 that Microsoft have told me are impossible and it was never desgned for that. Maybe that's why they gutted the drawing section.

My general experience trying to learn Word 2013 has been

me "How do I do this?"

expert "Like this ....long explanation"

me "That doesn't actually work"

expert "Yes it does"

me (wondering if I am in a pantomime) "Er no it doesn't'"

• Em_PressEm_Press Professor

Archeologist, if you can write and understand your previous first paragraph, I have  no doubt you can learn every little thing there is about formatting.

One thing at a time, look it up on Youtube.

A citizen of the world.

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

Kevin, that's a bit like me telling someone they shouldn't dig holes on a dig until they learn to recognise an alluvial deposit from ancient cess, or a badger burrow from a ditch, or a tree throw from a storage pit, and then walking away without offering some guidance on the subtle differences in the feel of the substances, or why badger burrows and ditches can be hard to tell apart with, or how to recognise a tree throw.

You mean you do not tell them that? But that's far more complex than learning the basics of Word.

My understanding of the templates from what Lulu writes about them is that they are supposed to be for people who don't know what the formatting instructions mean.

Hrrmm, I am not sure about that. Glenn revamped them including better instructions, but some people still do not understand how to use them because they have no idea what the default options are and how to change them because that cannot use Word. New Section? What's that? It's not really possible to include a full How-To in the Templates' Zips.

My understanding of forums is that they are a place to ask questions when you don't know how to do something,

And indeed you did and indeed they did, but one of your later replies indicated you are still having problems, hence my reply to that one.

and then helpful people (like the previous replies) give you some guidance and get you started. They are, in fact, part of the process of learning.

And there you go, you have answered the question yourself. Learning how to use the likes of Word is part of self-publishing learning, unless you pay some one to do the work.

Telling people to just go away and learn it is not helpful.

No one told you to go away. But why is it not? What you ask is not only covered in great detail in Lulu's own Help pages, but also in Word's own Help and How-tos.  We have all been there. I learned by trial and error. Lulu's Help files were hard to navigate in those days.

I've been using Word for 19 years. Then they went and changed it completely and removed half the functionality I use on a daily basis and hid the rest.

Hrmm. I have owned MS Office since 1995 I think, and then had to get MS Office 10 when my old Office would not work with Vista. It did not take long to adapt. But what is missing?

We still haven't updated all workstations where I work, and the language as people discover that it no longer does what it used to do makes me dread my turn. I have 2007, 2010, and 2013 at home, and they are all equally difficult to get into. I gave up working at home because the program was impenetrable. Apparently you regain some function if you save as .doc instead of docx.

I will have to disagree, but no matter, it will do what most publishers expect of it.

I can do things with drawing objects in word 2003 that Microsoft have told me are impossible and it was never desgned for that. Maybe that's why they gutted the drawing section.

I don't use Office as a drawing tool, I use PaintShop Pro 5 and paste to Word.

My general experience trying to learn Word 2013 has been

me "How do I do this?"

expert "Like this ....long explanation"

me "That doesn't actually work"

expert "Yes it does"

me (wondering if I am in a pantomime) "Er no it doesn't'"

Who are you asking? A human? That sounds expensive. Just use Office's own Help database and the copious Help even on line.

http://digitalunite.com/guides/creating-documents/microsoft-word

Even MS's own site. There's even this >>     https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Office-2010-Migration-Guides-2087c481-acd4-48d3-8eaf-9b5fce87da4f?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US  that link is a direct link from Word's own Help option.

We all had to do it I am sure.

• This is what I did: download the Lulu template then look at the dimensions etc. in 'paragraph' settings on Word, then make your own template based on the sizes and settings (mirror images, indents etc.) Copy text into this new 'homemade' template, select 'all' highlighting the text and uncheck 'wodows and orphans' in paragraph settings. Unclick highlighted text, click on the icon that looks like a music symbol to show indents, enters etc. Go to the end of each page break and delete this and all the excess 'music symbols' right up to last line of the chapter and re-insert a page break there, this should get rid of the excess white spaces. There should be none of these 'symbols' between the last line of text and the page break. For me it seems to 'stretch' the line spacing somewhat in the chapters where they exist between that last line and the page break.

• @marquesaThank you. I will try it

@kevinlomas

If I listed all the functionality that was lost in Word it would be almost as long as my novel. 1 thing that has cost me a great deal of extra work was the loss of dxf import. Metafiles are considerably less editable.

However, this thread is not about how Microsoft has wrecked Word, and that topic isn't really all that relevant in this area of the forums,  so as my original question has been comprehensively answered, if moderators lock threads in this forum, you may do so now.

Thank you.