Before completing your order, please take a moment to review information about potential delivery delays.

Due to closures, travel restrictions, and prioritization of vital services, some parcel deliveries may experience delays. Please check with your carrier of choice to verify your location can receive deliveries. In some instances, some deliveries may no longer be possible.
Read More.

Cover Preview differs from Proof

I followed guidelines and found my text was slightly outside on the green bleed zone. So I changed it to fit accurately and in the preview...perfect.

But then when the page for ordering comes up the proof (image 2) is clearly off (there's less bleed on the outside margin). So, how do I reconcile this? Do I trust the preview or trust the proof?

Thanks in advance for the help (asked tech support yesterday and would prefer not to sit around waiting for answer).

Comments

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

I am not sure what I am supposed to be looking at, the images are too small. The PR PDF looks OK to me and is what was created from what is seen in your other screenshot.

Granted the back is very slightly to the left and the front is very slightly to the right, is that what you mean? However, I cannot see the spine fold. But if you wish to move the front and back slightly to the left give that a try.

One problem to me is that the text is too close to the edges anyway, and the title is too small, and perhaps too much blurb on the back. There's no room for an ISBN either, are you not using one?

Proofs are the printed copy you buy to check how it works in print, and who knows? It may look OK printed.

• Thanks for the feedback.

My only concern is just exactly how to get the title, author, and text block for verso centered (slightly off-center at that small size = obviously off-center at publication size).

If what you say is accurate, regarding the proof being the final say, then it appears that one should not trust Lulu's guide for the outside margin/bleed, because if one does, the title [and everything else] will not be centered on the covers. I find that a bit frustrating, but can—with some hassle—figure it out. 

No isbn planned.

My only concern is just exactly how to get the title, author, and text block for verso centered (slightly off-center at that small size = obviously off-center at publication size).

Well, you do it to the original artwork. It's not hard, if like myself who always keeps backgrounds as separate images in case I have to add the text to them in another area (Then Save As another file name). Then upload that.

If what you say is accurate, regarding the proof being the final say, then it appears that one should not trust Lulu's guide for the outside margin/bleed, because if one does, the title [and everything else] will not be centered on the covers.

The point is that Lulu's recommendations are just a guide, but Lulu do not create the finished product. Apart from hardbacks which I think are only created in the USA, paperbacks are created as close to the order address as possible, so, with many different POD companies involved, the resulting print and trimming might not always be exactly the same. That's why I suggested looking at a printed Proof (that's why they are called that, to prove it all works  Smiley Happy ) That's also why I suggested you stay well away from the edges of the printed area with your text to allow for trimming that may not always be exactly the same.

I find that a bit frustrating, but can—with some hassle—figure it out. 

It can be, yes, but once you know then you can prepare art for further books that do not have that problem.

• Em_PressEm_Press Professor

Your title text should not be centered in the preview if you would like it to be centered in the final product. Move it a 1/4 of an inch toward the spine.

A citizen of the world.

• Maggie wrote:

...Move it a 1/4 of an inch toward the spine.

Sounds like you speak from experience, Maggie. Thnx!

• Thanks for the help, everyone. 

I don't see it as being a Lulu problem, as myself and Maggie have pointed out. Or did you pay Lulu to create the cover?

•  

My point remains that if Lulu presents a guide—with the green margin—that differs in fact from the proof, then the guide is flawed, and should not serve as a "guide." That's a fact as far as my experience goes. I suppose you can refrain from calling it a flaw, but I don't.

I should mention that Jennifer (Lulu support) was quite helpful in her response to my request for assistance.

Is your first jpg the original artwork? Because the text in that too is off-set.