Some Graphic Novel help.

Alright, so I wrote this message earlier that was... it wasn't very definitive on what I need help with concerning my book.  So, I'm going to rewrite this.

I have written the script for the first book in my Graphic Novel series.  This script is 75 pages long.  Good?  Good.  Now then, I will be creating all the art for this graphic novel - which means that I need to know the dimensions of the book.  I went to the "Create" option on this site and have decided upon:

Premium Paperback

US Letter 8.5 x 11

Perfect Bound

I chose this because it allows me to print in both Black and White (I presume this also means Grayscale) and also in Full Color.  I don't know if that's a good size for a Graphic Novel, but it provides me with the best dimensions for what I need.

Now then, I understand in theory what the margins for these dimensions are... sort of.  But I really need some more specific details - and that is what I hope someone can help me with.

Say, I have Photoshop open, and I have my canvas dimensions set to 8.5 x 11, because that's the book size.

So, my question is:

1.  What margin size do I need to use in the first place?

2.  Do I need to ADD canvas space to account for margins ON TOP of the 8.5 x 11?  So like... if the margin space is 1 inch all the way around, I really need to be working on a canvas size of 9.5 x 12?

3.  OR - Am I correct to work on an 8.5 x 11 canvas, and then put the 1 inch margins all the way around onto that?

This is all very confusing, and I don't think I understand what I'm supposed to be doing.  I know this is important, because I'm going to have to create the art on a canvas double the size anyway.  This way, when I shrink the image down to the proper size, it will be at the highest quality that I can produce.

Comments

• Em_PressEm_Press Professor

I wouldn't publish a novel at 8.5 x 11. 6x9 is best imo.

Regarding your images, you need to decide if you want your book full bleed or not. If yes, add .25 of an inch all around. If not, keep your images and text minimum .5 of an inch away from edges.

Good luck.

A citizen of the world.

• Thank you - this makes sense.  I feel stupid for asking these questions, but I'm ready to really put the pencil to the page on this.  And I want to make sure I get it right.  I'd have to redraw all the pages, otherwise.

I will observe your advice on the size of the book.  I was actually considering between those two sizes, but couldn't figure on which one to go with.  Out of curiosity, is there any particular reason you recommend 6x9 over 8.5x11?

• Em_PressEm_Press Professor

It's the size of most novels.

I have not yet a 8.5 x11 adult book. In my life.

A citizen of the world.

• Hrmmm... fair enough.

Thanks again Smiley Happy

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

Graphic novels often come in large sizes though.

• Well, aparently, I was in the wrong section when I was looking up print sizes.  I was in Print Books and not Photo Books because... reasons...

The "Comic Book" size is aparently 6.625 x 10.25 - this is aproximately what I was shooting for anyway but couldn't find this size in the Print Books section.

... I feel like such a dummy.  Now I know why my rough pencils weren't fitting together like they should.  I was missing almost an entire inch all the way around.  Luckily I only had 7 pages worth of rough pencils before I double checked everything.

"Hey, why don't I make a graphic novel out of this?!" - *sigh*

Well, aparently, I was in the wrong section when I was looking up print sizes.  I was in Print Books and not Photo Books because... reasons...

Photobooks are not what you want because they are exactly as they sound, and use online templates, unlike the 'normal' book Projects.

The "Comic Book" size is aparently 6.625 x 10.25 - this is aproximately what I was shooting for anyway but couldn't find this size in the Print Books section.

I think that's an old size. What is available can be viewed at Create and I would suggest Premium paperback or Hardbacked (the latter option is much more expensive, though)

... I feel like such a dummy.

It's always best to design for what is available. POD has limitations.

Now I know why my rough pencils weren't fitting together like they should.  I was missing almost an entire inch all the way around.

A margin is advisable to allow for trimming.

Luckily I only had 7 pages worth of rough pencils before I double checked everything.

Indeed  Smiley Happy

"Hey, why don't I make a graphic novel out of this?!" - *sigh*

Well you still can. The artwork for such things are normally designed to fit possible page shapes and sizes, not the other way around.

• As Kevin suggests, a more affordable option is under Premium Paperbacks. Choose the white paper option for the Comic format.

While we do have a Comic size under the Standard Paperback product line, the paper used for this product is not well suited for highly staturated color printing like you would find in a graphic novel.

• I gotcha.

Thanks for the help, everyone.

This is what I have selected:

Premium Paperback

Full Color

6.63 x 10.25 (Comic Book)

I have a canvas set up for about 7 x 11, which gives me some wiggle room, with a "live zone" sectioned off in the center.  I guess the excess will be cut off to the size listed.

With approximately 80 Pages, it'll be $16.45 per book to print.

Two last questions and I will leave you guys alone, I promise:

1.  Does Lulu provide Copyright options or is that something I need to take care of myself?

2.  What is the lpi of the printers Lulu uses for printing graphic novels?

I have a canvas set up for about 7 x 11, which gives me some wiggle room, with a "live zone" sectioned off in the center.  I guess the excess will be cut off to the size listed.

It is always best to set up a file of pages to the size and shape required, in Word perhaps, then add some margins. No less than. 0.50", then create your art to fit within those margins.

With approximately 80 Pages, it'll be $16.45 per book to print.

If you want an ISBN and distribution it may not be available for that size.

Two last questions and I will leave you guys alone, I promise:

1.  Does Lulu provide Copyright options or is that something I need to take care of myself?

It's copyrighted by law as soon as it leaves your head. You just say so on a Copyright Page. There are copyright options in the Project Wizards so it notes on places like your Lulu Spotlights what kind it is, but the default on is the usual one.

2.  What is the lpi of the printers Lulu uses for printing graphic novels?

DPI? I would assume it's the same as it is for any coloured pages. But are you doing art on  a PC? If so set it at 300dpi. That should be OK. Most graphic novels only seem to use 3 colours per page anyway, often with cross-hatch shadings. Many are B & W.