Cover Design for multi-volume books

Hi

I am in the process of editing my manuscript for a 3 volume series of books. I am using the new book designer but wondered if there is a quick way that I can edit each subsequent volume so that the title font / my name / back cover blurb remains the same (I just want to have slight changes of image for each volume).

Is there a way of doing this - rather than making extensive notes on font sizes and blank lines left etc...?

Best Regards

MrSlippers

Comments

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

I don't think there is an easy way.

The images at least should all be in your My Files folder, though, which can be got to via the Cover designer.

But should each cover not be different anyway? Not just sub-title etc, but blurb also.

But one way is to create whole covers off-line and upload them. A front image and a back image. All my covers are created off-line from components. I have all of them sans text for example. They are created multi-layer from pre-created parts.

But if required I do take note of fonts etc in case they need to be matched. There's often little choice.

• Thank you Kevin,

It was really from the point of view of having three books where when laid together would look like part of a series - with identical title fonts & spacing etc but with different cover images. You are correct about the sub-title and blurbneeding to be different, but if a 'saved cover' could be recalled then those details could be edited with minimal effort.

I had already considered creating the covers offline and importing the finished result, but I just wanted to make sure that there wasn't a feature already on the system that allowed saved covers to be edited against different revisions.

Best Regards

MrSlippers

It was really from the point of view of having three books where when laid together would look like part of a series - with identical title fonts & spacing etc but with different cover images.

Ah right, that's often only done with spines. An image running across them when slid in to a book shelf for example.

You are correct about the sub-title and blurbneeding to be different, but if a 'saved cover' could be recalled then those details could be edited with minimal effort.

It creates a Print Ready PDF which you can download and save, the problem is that's it's a single image and not at all easy to edit even if you have the tools. It also saves to your My Files folder, but the problem of editing would still remain if loaded in to a Cover Wizard.

I had already considered creating the covers offline and importing the finished result, but I just wanted to make sure that there wasn't a feature already on the system that allowed saved covers to be edited against different revisions.

If only ...

The problem with Self-publishing is it can be hard work  Smiley Happy

• Thanks very much for your input, Kevin

Best Regards

MrSlippers

• Ah right, that's often only done with spines. An image running across them when slid in to a book shelf for example.

Actually, it's common to have similar front covers. Consider the original covers for the "Song of Ice And Fire" series. They weren't the same, but they were similar. They all had a simple image on the cover with a simple, monochromatic background, and the font for the title was the same. Take a look online at some series and you'll notice similarities in the covers.

I like the idea of an image running across the spines, and I think that would be great for a special edition boxed set. I doubt I would want to do the work for that myself though. All that shipping and handling, I'd rather leave that to someone else. Maybe, if I get the chance to quit my day job...

Actually, it's common to have similar front covers.

Similar is not the same as identical.

Consider the original covers for the "Song of Ice And Fire" series. They weren't the same, but they were similar.

Each part actually had many variations under the same titles, not really similar at all, but following the same theme to donate what is in the book. The same applies to the covers based on the TV series, which use images from the TV series. It's also not uncommon for books to have different covers for different countries, even English speaking ones. Even for differing shapes and sizes of books, or just for those who like to collect every edition of the same book!

http://search.aol.co.uk/aol/image?q=Song+of+Ice+And+Fire%2C+covers&v_t=client-newtab&s_it=searchtabs

They all had a simple image on the cover with a simple, monochromatic background, and the font for the title was the same. Take a look online at some series and you'll notice similarities in the covers.

But not the same. Layouts may often be the same, but the images are not, and of course the series name is not the same. The blurb on the back will not be the same either.

I like the idea of an image running across the spines, and I think that would be great for a special edition boxed set. I doubt I would want to do the work for that myself though. All that shipping and handling, I'd rather leave that to someone else. Maybe, if I get the chance to quit my day job...

I think the Mr Men series did it first  Smiley Happy

• I think you're missing what the OP was trying to do. As I understand, he was hoping that he could make a template on Lulu so that he could keep the same formatting readily available for his entire series. Also, as I understand it, Lulu's cover creator doesn't really allow for that. But I'm pretty sure he wasn't going to just use the same cover for all of his books. At least I would hope not.

• potetjppotetjp Professor

MrSlippers a écrit :

manuscript for a 3 volume series of books. [...] so that the title font / my name / back cover blurb remains the same (I just want to have slight changes of image for each volume.

Is there a way of doing this - rather than making extensive notes on font sizes and blank lines left etc...?

Don't forget to take down the Lulu numbers of the colors for your front cover, spine and backcover.

• Thanks all. The 'spine thing' was an additional thought but as already mentioned the main thing was to keep the front and back covers of each volume looking similar - same title but different subtitle for each volume, same positioning of author name, just different cover image...

Anyway, it seems like just a case of trial and error / making notes of positioning to get as close as I can.

Thanks again

MrS