We're aware of an issue with converting some DOC, DOCX, ODT, and RTF files to EPUB through our Ebook Wizard.
We've created this Forum Thread with some workarounds and advice to assist you in publishing you ebook.

attempting children's book conversion to ebook through Open Office 3.1

Having trouble applying the headings apparently to my full color page children's book.  Because for some reason it keeps getting rejected on conversion to epub stating there is no TOC.  ??  Any help would be much appreciated.  Last ebooks I made through Microsoft Office Word, but I never registered it so unable to use it anymore. 

***Check out my books here***
www.lulu.com/spotlight/sissarella

Comments

• Em_PressEm_Press Professor

Assign Heading Style 1 to your title and the word Copyright on your copyright page. If you have an Author page, you can also add that to your toc.

Good luck.

A citizen of the world.

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

There's often a confusion between Heading Styles and Headers (and Footers).

Headers are in their own boxes at the top of pages outside of the margin, and ePubs do not have Headers.

Heading Styles are one of the pre-set text Styles that can be applied to text. In Word they are in the Ribbon on the Home tab.

Do as Maggie suggests   Smiley Happy

• The text was made in a different program so not sure if it will let me highlight it , will try though.

Oh, Open Office. I think you can do it in that also.

• Text was added in Picasa to my full colored pages, then added to open office as pictures, text is embedded in the pictures.  I found out that I was able to hide text under the picture for it to work as TOC, but when I look at the sample epub you can see the words above the pictures.  It slid me through, but looks tacky.  I guess I just need to know more about Open office, and how to add headings to pictures.  Trying to google it, but so far unable to find the answer.

You can either do one or the other.

Make the text part of an image, or add it to the page as actual text. Trying to do both with the same text so a heading gets in to a TOC is a bit pointless.

One problem with ePubs is that although the text flows and can be enlarged, images usually stay the same size, so the text may move away from the images it relates to.

Is it crucial that the names of the images are in the TOC?

If not then all that need to be in it are the Title (from the Title Page) and the word Copyright (off the top of the Copyright page.)

That will pass.

I have just had a look at one of your paperbacks and there's no TOC and no need for one.

• I'm tring to make just a Title page and copyright page for it to pass in epub conversion or it will say i don;t have a TOC and won;t put it through.  I did notice what you were talking about in regards to the text I tried to hide under the illustrations.  Even tried to disguise the text using white, and once the epub was made and I previewed it the text was still showing in black ink.  So am I making this harder than it should be.  Is there a way around having to have a TOC.

No, not in an ePub.

But it's easy to add pages, and as I said, only the title page and copyright page needs to be in a TOC to pass.

• Finally at 2am I think it is the best it's going to get.  I put the titlel in the metedata and put the word copyright on the first page under the picture of my title page and when it was converted to epub the word Copyright is above the copyright page. and the title and copyright are now the TOC.  I guess it doesn't look too tacky.  Thanks Kevin for hanging in with me and trying t help me out, your time is much appreciated.