We're aware of an issue with converting some DOC, DOCX, ODT, and RTF files to EPUB through our Ebook Wizard.
We've created this Forum Thread with some workarounds and advice to assist you in publishing you ebook.

How come the ebook covers in the Lulu shop don't always fit their specified aspect ratio?

OK this is weird. I get that the ebook "cover" must be:

"612x792px at 72, 96 or 150dpi for the Marketing Image uploaded at the cover stage."

However, when I look at the Lulu shop, I see covers with all sorts of aspect ratio. Please could somebody explain?

Comments

• oncewasoncewas Librarian

612 x 792 are the minimum dimensions. Some people use larger image sizes.

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

As far as I recall, that's the only size one can upload as an ePub Marketing image. That's the size it asks for because it becomes part of the ePub.

DPI max is not so important, I upload 300DPI and it will still use it.

As to why some Marketing Images in Buy are different sizes, perhaps due to the different DPIs? But mine are all the same size in my Spotlight, the same size as I see on other Spotlights. But what you see in Buy are images/icons created from the Marketing Images, not the actual images.

Then again some e-books could be PDFs, and there's no limitations to the shape and size of the covers, or the pages, for those.

• DanielBlue is correct.

The 612 x 792 ppi dimensions are the minimum requirement for the eBook cover / marketing image.

Interesting. The ones I created I must have missed the 'Min' bit. The Guide does say 'at least' so it's OK to upload one  2612 x 2792 pixels then? What would the advantage be?

• Amazon's guidelines are currently 1600 x 2560.

At the moment, these are just guidelines, but you never know when or if they will make this a requirement.

As to their rationale for this size, who knows?  Amazon makes their own rules - we simply follow them.

I normally go off what I first read when doing something here, and the replies to people asking about the size, and as far as I recall it has to be that size. I suppose for smartphones and whatnot.

Amazon have different rules to what they tell Lulu it seems. Oddly enough I followed Amazon's own rules for mobis, as laid out in their own guide, but was surprised that they asked for a 'cover' that was wider than it is high, so my Kindle covers are exactly that. Then I saw other mobis on Amazon that are the 'right' shape for book covers. I mentioned this to Amazon and they insisted their guide was right and refused to discuss it! I never bothered to change them.

See >>  http://www.amazon.co.uk/Just-a-Couch-ebook/dp/B009Z55TIE/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1351811571&sr=1-4