We're aware of an issue with converting some DOC, DOCX, ODT, and RTF files to EPUB through our Ebook Wizard.
We've created this Forum Thread with some workarounds and advice to assist you in publishing you ebook.

Ebook by Lulu.com (Paid Service)

Sorry guys, I have my FIRST COMPLAINT.  A few weeks ago I asked how to fix my ebook when I tried to upload for myself.   So many of you came to my rescue with advice but my technical abilites were not great.  So though you gave me detailed exampleas and advice I failed.  After fourteen days of at aleast eight hours a day of failed attempts I decided to ask Lulu.com to do it for me.  I paid them and they did.  I was excited.  Unfortunately, I have had many a call from my readers that the icons are not at the beginning of chapters nor are the asterixes at the end of chapters...Worst of all, I have three sections in the text where in the manuscript i sent to lulu the icons and sections were on ONE page...lulu has uploaded them in halves.  This i find embarrassing and need lulu.com to resolve...

The manuscript has all the icons in the right places...the book is now out in the public looking a mess.  I have written three notes to lulu and the staff keep coming back to me via email to say that i have to pay for the service..they don't seem to understand what my problem is...so please...this is a note to LULU.COM'S management...I can't call you..but i desperately need you to note this and either explain to me in simple language how to edit the wrongs..but i dont want to fidget around with icons...so bearing in mind the MANUSCRIPT I SENT TO YOU HAD THE ICONS IN THE RIGHT PLACE...Could someone URGENTLY DEAL WITH THIS ISSUE...

It is not an EDIT...it is the service I paid for and agreed to...My uploaded manuscript is what i wish as an EBOOK...not an INTERPRETATION OF IT...I just think it has been an oversight by your staff.  I am very impressed by lulu.com and am very confident that you will sort the matter as soon as possible.

My overall experience with lulu.com thus far...i have had excellent service so far..except for this perpetual miscommunication with one of your staff..she seems sweet....just not understanding what my problem is.  The service in general is excellent.  So come on lulu.com let's get the problem resolved...asap...my readers are not impressed right now...

For those who wish to see the problem.  The text is SUNSET ON THE HORZON by H M HANLAN.

it is a FREE EBOOK so download and have a look at what I mean.

Of course, I am editing the text separately...but i wish lulu.com to upload the MANUSCRIPT I SENT..WITH ALL THE ICONS AT THE BEGINNING AT CHAPTERS, ALL ASTERIX AT THE END OF CHAPTERS AND ALL SECTIONS WITH TITLE CENTRED AND WITH ICONS ON THEM...

HAVE A HAPPY HOLIDAY EVERYONE!

HMH

Comments

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

But surely Lulu allow you to see what they have done before it's published?

But if they have messed it up then your gripe is with them and you should be complaining to them. I would have thought that if one pays for a service then you get what you pay for? Lulu should have noticed that the ePub is not set up as per your original file and worked until it did, no?

Actually, unless you lock images with text while creating the original file they will drift around, and ePubs use flowing text, so Lulu may not have seen the images in the same place, even in the original file, so perhaps did not realise they should be locked?

But the other thing is, if you knew it was incorrect, why did you put it on sale?

• Em_PressEm_Press Professor

I downloaded and had a look at your file.

What you want is "Page break before" symbol - always. It is very possible Lulu staff was not made aware of this becuase what they saw was that there are no Chapters so they made everything flow.

Send them the email where you requested this at the start. I am sure they will correct it. Posting here, however, will not help you.

Good luck.

A citizen of the world.

• No.  They did not send me a copy before they did it.

Are they supposed to.

I still received an email from them and they still are explaining to me about editorial services.

All I wish them to do is upload the document I sent to them with the chapter and section separators the way i created them.

They need to review.  

Now it is on Amazon with the same errors.

Thanks for your words of wisdom.

I am reading and taking notes.

S

• Thanks Maggie.

I have clicked on your services and have sent your business a query.

I received another email from lulu.com not understanding my request.

I just want them to upload the manuscript with the icons in the right place as 

is the case with ORIGINAL manuscript.

I am going to sit and create a bluff document and put into practice what you advice.

Thanks again.

Have a wonderful day.

Sorry for the dealy.

By the way is there a quick way to say thanks to everyon who answer queries?

• So at each symbol on the manuscrip BEFORE the symbol ensure there is a page break...is there a difference with putting in page breaks and a new page Maggie?

Thank you for answering.

Best regards.

Seshat

No.  They did not send me a copy before they did it.

Are they supposed to.

One would hope that when paying for such a service you get to see it, in case it needs changing, before it is put to use. Possibly what Lulu do is place it in your Projects for you to view?

I still received an email from them and they still are explaining to me about editorial services.

In what way? Have you not already paid them for one? If not then it's out of Lulu's hands. The site is full of How-Tos and Lulu expect that they are good enough, for free, and normally they are.

All I wish them to do is upload the document I sent to them with the chapter and section separators the way i created them.

They need to review.

I understand what you mean, but perhaps Lulu do not actually read the docs and just put them through the Converter as we do, so perhaps they do not compare the results with the original?

Now it is on Amazon with the same errors.

Did you also pay for Lulu to distribute it for you? But unseen.

So at each symbol on the manuscrip BEFORE the symbol ensure there is a page break...is there a difference with putting in page breaks and a new page Maggie?

The Converter strips Breaks from docs when creating an ePub from them. I don't know how it treats Breaks if you upload an ePub.

EPubs don't have pages.

Heading Styles work the same as a Pagebreak, but it also adds anything tagged with a Heading style to the TOC.