Create an epub for a partial ebook

I've been exploring lulu.com, and I have decided that I can definitely produce an ebook and have enough original material to do so. However, the actual book will contain well over a hundred pages. I am converting web content (from my own site) into MS Word .doc format, and since there are images, needless to say, this is time consuming.

I am about to have converted the first two chapters and the introduction. What I would like to do at this point is to put the .doc file through the epub process, just to see if I have made some glaring mistakes, or am attempting some things that may not work. I'd like to not waste time reformatting web to Word and then have to go back in and make unnecessary changes.

Is this ok, to bring a partial book through the epub process to validate the techniques I am using, or is that forbidden or frowned upon? In other words, do I really need to have the whole work created and ready for the epub conversion before I try it? It would probably be several months until I get all of the chapters converted, and if I cannot do this, it might just make more sense to just go with a print version, which I can do more easily.

Comments

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

I've been exploring lulu.com, and I have decided that I can definitely produce an ebook and have enough original material to do so. However, the actual book will contain well over a hundred pages.

I am not sure if there's a limit to the number of pages you can have in an ePub, which do not really have pages.

I am converting web content (from my own site) into MS Word .doc format, and since there are images, needless to say, this is time consuming.

And getting Lulu's Wizard to handle doc (or docx) that are not just text can be very troublesome.  Read here very carefully >>    http://connect.lulu.com/t5/eBook-Formatting-Publishing/tkb-p/ebook_formatting%40tkb  It's very specific about images etc.

I am about to have converted the first two chapters and the introduction. What I would like to do at this point is to put the .doc file through the epub process, just to see if I have made some glaring mistakes, or am attempting some things that may not work. I'd like to not waste time reformatting web to Word and then have to go back in and make unnecessary changes.

Set the Project to Private to do that. But is it not easier to just PrtScn the pages of your website? Save them as jpgs. Edit them. Paste them to the pages in a Word file?

Is this ok, to bring a partial book through the epub process to validate the techniques I am using, or is that forbidden or frowned upon? In other words, do I really need to have the whole work created and ready for the epub conversion before I try it? It would probably be several months until I get all of the chapters converted, and if I cannot do this, it might just make more sense to just go with a print version, which I can do more easily.

No it's fine and normal. Many of us wish others would take the time to do that before they publish. You do not even need to go past the Convert to ePub stage because you can view the Conversion (you will need ADE, but you can download it from within the Wizard) edit the original file, delete the older one from within the Wizard, and upload the edited one, Convert that, view that, as many times as you like. The final edit will be when you change the Project to General because you are happy with it, so have to add the free ISBN number to your Copyright page.

• Ok, thanks for the info. On the question of the images, I see that your suggestion is a good one, but I have all the image files (in the same folder) on my computer, and have just been opening them in Photoshop Elements, reducing the DPI, adding about 40 px at the bottom for captions, saving as a jpg and then importing into the MS Word doc. It doesn't take long once you get all the details worked out, maybe 3 minutes and it does look good.

>>Set the Project to Private to do that. But is it not easier to just PrtScn the pages of your website? Save them as jpgs. Edit them. Paste them to the pages in a Word file?<<

• Hey I'm a newbie here so if I sound ignorant I am... What is epub? And does any one use Open Office here for I don't have MS Word ....any one?

• Hey I'm a newbie here so if I sound ignorant I am... What is epub?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EPUB   Aren't search engines wonderful?  Smiley Happy

And does any one use Open Office here for I don't have MS Word ....any one?

Many do use it, yes.