We're aware of an issue with converting some DOC, DOCX, ODT, and RTF files to EPUB through our Ebook Wizard.
We've created this Forum Thread with some workarounds and advice to assist you in publishing you ebook.

Poetry or Literature/Fiction?

Opinions please!

A quandary: Would a 73,000-word (240 pages) fictional story written as a rhyming poem be classed best as Poetry or Literature?

Comments

• Papi_SoñolientoPapi_Soñoliento Southern Escarpment Hill Country Librarian

Lyric Prose perhaps?

jts wrote:

Opinions please!

A quandary: Would a 73,000-word (240 pages) fictional story written as a rhyming poem be classed best as Poetry or Literature?

• Poetry and literature are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

"Hiawatha," which is about 30,000 words, is generally considered an epic poem.

I think you get to call it what you want.

• jts wrote:

Opinions please!

Well, imho, that's a bit like asking if a given painting is "Art."

Myself, I'd go with poetry, though literature might be a good choice also.

• With something so long I would stick it in a specific story-content section rather that the method it uses.

You can use the Keywords to say it's poetry and many other words.

It's a shame Lulu does not have the options to add to sub-categories in a chain.

• I've opted for "Literature/Fiction" since:

A) It is a single continuous story,

B) The "Long Poem" genre is both sparsely populated and dubiously defined and

C) Poetry, as Beauty, is found in the eye of the beholder [reader] and indeed, true beauty can be a rare and elusive thing.

I suppose that makes sense...

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

You can say in the Description (and on the back cover) exactly what you say it is, and you can also use all three words (and more) as Keywords (used in searches).  Literature, Fiction, poem.

•                                                                                                                                           Jan. 24/2015

Hi, I am Mike Farahay, just another poor and starving artist/writer... [email protected]

I am about to the point where I would accept help from anyone that can help me get sales. I would even sign-on to offering a standard, boiler-plate contract for a percentage of sales profits. I do not submit to standard publishers as once, when I did, they came back and told me... ONE, it may be a year or two before we are able to review your manuscript, and TWO, it may be a year or two before we are able to publish. Hell, I considered at my age, at least now, I could very well be dead before they get around to even reading the manuscript. I pulled that one and never went back.

People coming into my little studio and who pick-up one of my books to look over, usually buy it. This is especially true for the children's books. However, in the approximate 15 years I've been with LULU, I've only had, maybe, a handful of sales over theirs, LULU's, publisher/author's Spotlight web-site, to include magazine and newspaper ads, and the rest of the internet including Fc.Bk., Twitter, personal web-sites, Google and other listings to include counting all my books published through LULU. I did have some success as a juried artist/crafts person and writer at a regional arts & craft's museum and some other seasonal booth sites. I hate going to those except to be a spectator. They cost too much for me.

I cannot afford to pay up-front fees or buy in large bulk stocks. I am poor...

I've been told this latest book, TRILOGY: One American's Observation, Discovery, Evolution & Secrets is a fantastic assortment of casual advisements through fantastic short stories and critic's acclaimed great poetry of humor and drama reflecting the evolution of perception and priorities through youth and aging's experiences and involvements.

I'd like to get another's professional opinion of how I might make it better, and/or what ever else I may be able to do to increase sales.

I write for every word to be read, not speed read. Maybe, I am out-of-touch with the times. All I know is that I don't know what else I can do. I do know what I cannot afford.

Can you, maybe, read the darn book complete, cover to cover, slow and deliberate, and provide me with some constructive and plausible, helpful advice?

Sorry, I have not approved it for eBook publication yet, (other books I have when LULU did the conversion their selves for free), but I think I have put up a complete cover to cover preview for, at least, one of the three editions listed on LULU's Author's Spotlight. It can be reached through www.cedararts.com or www.farahay.com. They both go to LULU's www.lulu.com/spotlight/heron9

I hope I haven't been too much of a drag. Others have told me... You may not be the best book writer, but you are one hell of a great story teller. I wish I was just half as good of a salesperson...

Respectfully, Michael L. Farahay

See Mike at... cedararts.com  and [email protected]

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

Well it would have been better to post a New Message.

• Do you have any instructions or suggestions of what to title the subject and how to do that?

I am new to this forum as far as usage.  Most of my books have both poetry and story content. The story content of this last one has been recommended to be classified as documentary mystery. How ever my problem is more about exposure... How to increase sales without incurring cost.

Hi, I am Mike Farahay, just another poor and starving artist/writer... [email protected]

I am about to the point where I would accept help from anyone that can help me get sales. I would even sign-on to offering a standard, boiler-plate contract for a percentage of sales profits. I do not submit to standard publishers as once, when I did, they came back and told me... ONE, it may be a year or two before we are able to review your manuscript, and TWO, it may be a year or two before we are able to publish. Hell, I considered at my age, at least now, I could very well be dead before they get around to even reading the manuscript. I pulled that one and never went back.

People coming into my little studio and who pick-up one of my books to look over, usually buy it. This is especially true for the children's books. However, in the approximate 15 years I've been with LULU, I've only had, maybe, a handful of sales over theirs, LULU's, publisher/author's Spotlight web-site, to include magazine and newspaper ads, and the rest of the internet including Fc.Bk., Twitter, personal web-sites, Google and other listings to include counting all my books published through LULU. I did have some success as a juried artist/crafts person and writer at a regional arts & craft's museum and some other seasonal booth sites. I hate going to those except to be a spectator. They cost too much for me.

I cannot afford to pay up-front fees or buy in large bulk stocks. I am poor...

I've been told this latest book, TRILOGY: One American's Observation, Discovery, Evolution & Secrets is a fantastic assortment of casual advisements through fantastic short stories and critic's acclaimed great poetry of humor and drama reflecting the evolution of perception and priorities through youth and aging's experiences and involvements.

I'd like to get another's professional opinion of how I might make it better, and/or what ever else I may be able to do to increase sales.

I write for every word to be read, not speed read. Maybe, I am out-of-touch with the times. All I know is that I don't know what else I can do. I do know what I cannot afford.

Can you, maybe, read the darn book complete, cover to cover, slow and deliberate, and provide me with some constructive and plausible, helpful advice?

Sorry, I have not approved it for eBook publication yet, (other books I have when LULU did the conversion their selves for free), but I think I have put up a complete cover to cover preview for, at least, one of the three editions listed on LULU's Author's Spotlight. It can be reached through www.cedararts.com or www.farahay.com. They both go to LULU's www.lulu.com/spotlight/heron9

I hope I haven't been too much of a drag. Others have told me... You may not be the best book writer, but you are one hell of a great story teller. I wish I was just half as good of a salesperson...

Respectfully, Michael L. Farahay

See Mike at... cedararts.com  and [email protected]